Can anyone help me with correct amount of calories I should be consuming?

Options
Hi everyone, I have just started my weight loss journey and want to lose 20kg. A lot of people have said just consume 12 calories per day but shouldn't you work out your BMR and how many calories you need to consume to exercise and then drop say 500 below that to start with? Any advice on how to work out amount I should be eating would be much appreciated.

Replies

• b9_aj
    b9_aj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Who ever told you 12 calories hasn't got a clue what they are talking about, I'm not an expert but it all depends on your current weight how active you are and exercise, I would assume your body still needs 1500 calories. Have you put all your details into mfp? It's shud give u a better idea
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have just started my weight loss journey and want to lose 20kg. A lot of people have said just consume 12 calories per day but shouldn't you work out your BMR and how many calories you need to consume to exercise and then drop say 500 below that to start with? Any advice on how to work out amount I should be eating would be much appreciated.

What did MFP give you when you logged in and set your height, weight, activity, goal weight loss per week?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight loss, with 46lbs to go, should be between 1 and 1.5lbs per week

Your activity level should be set without purposeful exercise so if you have a desk job - you're sedentary (even if you run a marathon every day)

This will give you your NEAT goal calories - eat those

When you do purposeful exercise you log that on top and eat back half the calories

you don't need to overcomplicate it - as you lose weight it will automatically adjust .. as you dip under 40lbs to go change your goal to 1lb, under 14lbs change it to 0.5lb
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    12 calories? so like 4 grapes? really?! :noway:
  • JOLOOSEWEIGHT
    JOLOOSEWEIGHT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whoops excuse the typo I'm meant 1200!!!!

Thanks for the advice much appreciated