Suggestions for a very simple, for-complete-newbies home based strength workout

Options
Hiya everyone

I'm 32, female, and I have about 20lb to loose (currently 152lb, I'm 5ft1). I have never 'worked out' as such - and I'm terrified of gyms. I walk a lot in the course of my daily life, which is currently my only exercise.

I would like to find a free, very simple workout to do at home - either a youtube vid or, even better, a nice inspiring printable. I'd like it to include some exercises that will tone up / build muscles, as well as burn calories. I have no exercise equipment at all apart from a yoga mat. I also have no idea what a lot of exercises are supposed to look like / be, so one that just says "20xsquats 20xcurls" or whatever are pointless, as I don't actually know what those are! I also prefer inspiring / encouraging / calming type stuff (I did briefly go to a pilates class years ago) than being shouted at or told to 'work harder!' (I googled some youtube vids and found some of the trainers scary!).

I know I could shift through the millions of workouts online to find one that 'fits', but I am not very knowledgeable about any kind of fitness / exercise, so I figured it would be good to ask some of you who have been doing this sort of thing for a lot longer for some pointers and advice. :) Thank you!

Replies

• joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love my 10 Minute Solution workouts:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=10+minute+solution

My favourite is the Target Toning, although the trainer is a bit of a Stepford Smiler.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thanks - have not watched one yet, but glancing through the list they look great, just the sort of thing I was after. Thanks!
  • siobhansadiq14
    siobhansadiq14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It's 20 minutes and does some serious toning.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    There's an App called You Are Your Own Gym. It's not free, but I think it's like $3.99? It's an awesome 4 Day a week kick your butt strength training program with NO weights. Check it out.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    Thanks both. I'll have a look at 30 day shred on youtube (if it's there?) - I have to admit, I've seen people mention it and it sounds scary! But I'll give it a shot.

The app sounds interesting too - I'll check that out. I like apps! Thank you both.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the body weight work outs at nerdfitness.com.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym

Bodyweight resistance training, there is a book and an App that will guide you through it and give demonstrations of each exercise.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who gave some good suggestions here. Just wanted to let you know I have done 2 days of 30 day shred. This is the first time I've ever actually 'worked out', and I am proud of myself for making a start!