Can I really lose my extra pounds of fat?

Options
I have been overweight all my life and I have tried numerous times to lose weight. I have lost a few pounds here and there but I never kept the fat off. I am 5'2" and I currently weigh 182lbs. My goal weight is 135lbs. Throughout my life many people have told me that I was born fat and that I will always have these extra pounds. I am feeling a bit worried about whether or not it is even possible for me to lose weight. I am very serious about my weight loss but I feel like relatives and friends do not take me seriously. I feel the need to prove everyone wrong but the doubting attitude seems to be getting to me. In addition I am not losing weight as quickly as I would like. I've been exercising 5 days a week since January 5th 2015 and I've been counting my calories. Since then I've lost 8lbs. Is there anybody out here who can help me? I need some motivation! Please share your experiences

Replies

• lindsaymoran
    lindsaymoran Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    8lbs since Jan is great! What were you hoping for? Stick with it. You'll need to keep up a diet for at least 6 months.... And then it's lifelong maintenance.
  • Ahsim24
    Ahsim24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for 10 or more pounds loss. I guess just eager to see results. I'll be patient :) I feel like I am working so hard. But I will keep working at it. Thanks for your reply and all the best on your journey!
  • hanajbanana
    hanajbanana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    8lbs is fine - you really should be aiming for a maximum of 2lbs weight loss per week, and that's pushing it... just keep eating under your calories and working out and you'll be fine :smiley:
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It takes time, time and more time. I know for myself, it helps to take photos to compare. Sometimes, when I feel fat and like I'm not making much progress, I take new pictures and compare them to my "before" pictures and then I can see my progress. Your brain can lie to you about your body but the camera won't! 4 sticks of butter equal about a pound of fat, so you have lost about 32 sticks of butter from your body already. Way to go!

Don't let other people tell you what to do with your body. I have some people in my life (my in-laws) who love to say mean and nasty things about my weight and physical appearance and then will try to guilt me into eating cheesecake when I am visiting. They can think and say what they like, but they do not control me, and I refuse to let them manipulate me. Not everybody will be on your team rooting for you, but they have no control over you.