Any Runners out there? *Beginner in Here*

Options
I'm going to go for the c25k. I've attempted it many times, but I always wuss out. I think maybe some motivation from other runners and support from other beginner runners would really help out!

Whatdya say?

xdezasfn8wm1.jpg

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    LOL! I love your Gollum pic! So true.
    Even once I had worked myself up to being comfortable walking at a brisk pace… I still had to do about 2 weeks of my own walk/jog intervals before I felt like I was ready to tackle week 1 of C25k. I'm currently on Week 6. I can't say I love running yet, but I want to love it. I really want to be a runner. I love walking… so I'm pretty sure that loving running will come as my fitness level improves.
    I find going through C25k… that it's almost entirely a mental thing. My body will 100% take orders from my mind. If I don't think I can… my body will say "you're absolutely right… you can't." And it will give up on me. But if I tell myself I can do it. That I will do it. And to keep going… my body says "Okay. Lets go." And it keeps going.
    Get out of your own way. And just go. It sounds horribly AA-ish to say… but trust the program. It will challenge you. Every week will. But you can do it if you simply decide you will. GOOD LUCK!
  • mjc1409
    mjc1409 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did you start yet? I am planning on starting tomorrow, I am probably going to start at week 3 though as I hike every day and try and run at least once a week, but I want to start doing it more regularly and to a program. I would love an accountabilibuddy!
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am trying to become a runner - but not by C25K. I am happy to have other friends struggling with these issues. (Mine right now is mental resistance and plantar fasciitis)
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am running about 3.5 miles 2-3 X a week. I am grad increasing distance. I do love running. Keep it up you guys ate doing great!
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did the C25K last year and it is pretty much all mental. Sometimes you will have a bad run and it is all about shaking it off and getting back out and doing it better. Seeing the progression helped keep me motivated. I am now training for a half marathon so I suppose I must be a runner now. Slow and steady, make sure you take it at your own pace.
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k then bridge to 10k. Then half then full marathon. My advice is stick with the program. If a particular run is hard repeat it before moving on. Do not give up!
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did C25K a while back and was running pretty regularly but I've fallen out of that trend. I'm slowly getting myself back out there but I'm in desperate need of new shoes (lol story of my life right there). My advice to you is to take it slow. Don't be afraid to repeat the first couple weeks a few times, you don't want to rush through it or end up hurting yourself.

Here are a couple mantras I tell myself when I'm out for a run:
    Every mile counts, even the slow miles.
    Don't focus on how far you have to go, focus on how far you've gone.