Just can't stop eating too much

Options
I really don't get it - wake up determined every morning and end up going to bed having eaten 1000 cals too much - and i know i'm doing it......

Stategies anyone? - cut off my hand perhap and and lock myself in a cupboard :)

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Plan out your food for the day and keep it with you. If it is not part of your prepared food for the day - don't eat it.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am trying to eat more calories between mid-morning snack and late day snack (including lunch) and then making dinner VERY light in calories. So far so good, but only time will tell.

Good Luck!
  • strathaven
    strathaven Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes - get organsised perhaps - plan for the week even - thanks :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me:

1) only make enough food for 1 serving. If you plan for leftovers, pack them away before eating your 1 serving.
    2) use a smaller plate
    3) fill half your plate with veggies/salad
    4) drink a big glass of water before you eat and continue to drink another glass while eating.
  • strathaven
    Options
    evenings seem to be a problem for me
    - snacking
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Are you over eating from hunger? or Boredom?
  • DJHackman
    DJHackman Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, Drink a glass of water before you eat and one after you eat, this will fill up any emptyness you are feeling and will stop them cravings.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Bring a healthy snack to work (like veggies or fruits) and then when you get hungry, it's something healthy.

I also agree with what the others are saying: plan your day out. Defrost what you are going to cook for dinner the night before, so that way it's ready for when you want to cook it and you aren't tempted to go out to eat
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I didn't get used to a smaller intake for about a week of commitment. Try really hard to get at least one week down and it should get easier for you.
  • strathaven
    Options
    some brilliant ideas - thank you all.

I don't think it's hunger - boredom maybe - activities needed perhaps
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Plan your day out in advance - I have all my meals picked by breakfast. That way I know how many cals I have left over for snacks and I can eat them when I feel hungriest.
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    I try to get a plan together for the week on what I'm going to have each day of the week and build my shopping list accordingly. (Note I said "try") I find it helps me cut out the "what am I going to make for ______" phase where I end up saying to hell with it and drive up to Chick-fil-a. Once I have an idea of what I want on hand for the major meals and stock up on healthier snacks it helps me stay on track.

I'm a notorious note-maker, so I guess it gives me a little structure and something to follow. Please no cutting off of limbs...lol... that's just wrong.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Planning, preparation, and commitment.
    (1) Plan your meals out -- for the whole week, if need be. MFP allows you to track forward. You can enter recipes into the database and it will tell you the calories per serving.
    (2) Keep the healthy stuff on hand -- fresh cut carrots and celery, proper salad dressings, light yogurt, lean protein in as many forms as you can.
    (3) Decide to stick to it. Set reasonable mini-goals with non-food rewards.

I'm not sure what your goal is or how far you need to go, but understand that you will have to make permanent changes to get there. If you aren't mentally prepared for that sort of change, you will not succeed at this time.

Plan.
    Prepare.
    Commit.
  • strathaven
    Options
    yes - psycological aspect important - definitley need to be in the right place.

need to lose between 20 - 25 pounds.
  • strathaven
    Options
    lol - i guess i should leave the limbs for the moment:)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I know this might sound strange but it works for me. I measure everything and use smaller bowl and plates so I think I have had a lot but I really have just had enough. I will also start and end the meal with a full glass of water.

It took a while for me to learn I was full and that was fine, I didn't need to feel stuffed. There are some days still when I feel I am still hungry when I am done with my food but I have learned if I wait about 20 minutes then I will feel full.

I will open one package of a 100 calorie snack or weigh out some fruit of veggies and leave it on my desk and snack on it all day.

Water, water, water! I drink about 80 oz a day when I am exercising, and 65 oz when I am not.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    evenings seem to be a problem for me
    - snacking

Go to bed. Seriously. My husband and I are evening snackers. The best way we've found to stop the snacking is to go to bed before the munchies hit. Yeah, it's kinda lame to be in bed by 9:30pm, but on the plus side, we're now extremely well-rested. :)
  • bbgunz88
    bbgunz88 Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you're eating the worng things. Try eating slow digesting carbs like wheat and slow proteins as well like beef and a casein protein shake as well! Snack between meals to help control cravings..like fruit nothin junky!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I like to drink a big glass of water after I eat so I don't feel like a want something sweet. That way you are extra full and feels like you are full on food.
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    If you tend to snack alot, choose healthy snacks!! I work in a department with 7 people, and between all of us we take turns buying low fat string cheese and almonds. When we get hungry, that's what we have ... instead of going up to the third floor to the snack machine! A few of us have made a rule to use the stairs, not the elevator... that helps us burn extra calories, since 98% of our day consists of sitting behind a desk.. Good luck!!