Exercise: How Often?

Options
Hi all,

I do some sort of exercise 5 days a week. Mainly 2hrs of walking Monday-Friday. With some strength exercises when I remember. I read that walking burns fat and muscle. This has got me worried. Should I be scaling down the exercise? I'm also starting to train for races so have started running (well for running read jogging). Should I be taking rest days in between?

HELP!

Thanks

Replies

• lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi!
    Why do you feel like you need to scale back? Are you tired? I ask because it all depends on the intensity and a person's fitness level. I'll give you an example: on Sunday, I spent about 6 hours engaging in 'roping' exercises (climbing trees etc), took a break yesterday. Today I will be taking 2 dance classes and depending on how I feel I will take a break on Wednesday. Thursday I will take a strength training class and MAYBE 2 dance classes, one if I'm not able to keep it going. That's the plan for this week ... so it all depends. I'm trying to see how that works for me, I might need to go for a walk on Mondays and Wednesdays but I'm experimenting for now. :)
    Hope this helps!
  • serabee5
    serabee5 Posts: 89
    Options
    yes, you need a rest day to allow your body to recover.

Here is a website that helps with a training schedule for running:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good Luck!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You don't "need" a break from walking unless you feel unusually fatigued or you experience some kind of injury. If you start to notice foot, ankle, or knee pain, definitely give yourself a break. Those injuries don't just go away by ignoring them. But if you feel good, then walking is not a strenuous enough activity to require rest days.

Running/jogging is different because there is a lot more impact on your critical joints (ankles, knees, hips). Strength training is different because of the strain on your muscles. They can't recover properly without rest. So if you are running or doing strength training, you do need to rest. That doesn't mean you have to completely take the day off; just don't work out the same muscle groups two days in a row, for instance.

Nutrition is also very important to helping the body recover. Lean proteins, vegetables, and quality carbs will help keep your muscles in good shape and your energy level up.
  • sdarling2503
    Options
    I feel fine and am relatively fit. I just didn't want to be doing all this exercise in vain. I'll carry on as I am then.

Thanks all for your comments. GOOD LUCK!
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    I've never heard of walking "burning" muscle.

You don't need a rest from walking. Rest days generally refer to taking a day off from strength training.
    that being said, I'd try to up your strength training (maybe cut down walking to 1h to fit in more strength work).