Net carbs

Options
Just wondered if anyone knows how to work out net carbs in myFitnessPal please? Trying to cut carbs and have been told I should focus on net carbsThanks

Replies

• scottwarren74
    Options
    Net carbs = total carb grams minus fiber grams
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you have firefox, you can addon Grease Monkey and add your own net carb script. Just google MFP Net Carb Script and you'll find it. Gives you a nice pie chart of your macros, too!
  • sdenereaz
    sdenereaz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ooh I will try that ta! Thanks both..
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you're trying to cut carbs in your diet?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cutting carbs for me is a grim life

I ate 50 - 60% of my diet in carbs and it worked for me

if you're doing it because you want to - great, if you can stick for life

if you're doing it because someone has told you to and you think it will be easy .. then nope .. it's a lifelong plan
  • sdenereaz
    Options
    Just trying to cut down healthily. Eat loads of bread and potato and it makes me feel bloated - plus could do with shedding a few pounds. Not going fully Atkins - just cutting down. :-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sdenereaz wrote: »
    Just trying to cut down healthily. Eat loads of bread and potato and it makes me feel bloated - plus could do with shedding a few pounds. Not going fully Atkins - just cutting down. :-)

up to you

lose weight by calorie defecit

get to a calorie defecit by low carb or by eating everything in moderation or any other method out there

find one that resonates and you can stick with - because it's not about losing weight, it's about embarking on a path that changes your lifestyle so you don't put it all back on again when your resolve fails
  • sdenereaz
    Options
    Have just noticed that the phone app gives you fiber - so I can just do it in my head - sorted :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Have just noticed that the phone app gives you fiber - so I can just do it in my head - sorted :-)

Or you can add it as a column in your diary.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

That's the way I do it. You can add Fiber as an option on the web app, too. Just change the diary settings. By the way, net carbs also doesn't include carbs from sugar alcohols so you'll want to choose or create entries that have those already subtracted from the total carb count.
  • sdenereaz
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

up to you

lose weight by calorie defecit

get to a calorie defecit by low carb or by eating everything in moderation or any other method out there

find one that resonates and you can stick with - because it's not about losing weight, it's about embarking on a path that changes your lifestyle so you don't put it all back on again when your resolve fails

I know. Thank you.
  • sdenereaz
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

That's the way I do it. You can add Fiber as an option on the web app, too. Just change the diary settings. By the way, net carbs also doesn't include carbs from sugar alcohols so you'll want to choose or create entries that have those already subtracted from the total carb count.

Now that's foxed me a bit. I have sugars listed under carbs but don't really understand what you mean by sugar alcohol, or how I find it. Thanks.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Now that's foxed me a bit. I have sugars listed under carbs but don't really understand what you mean by sugar alcohol, or how I find it. Thanks.

Most items don't have sugar alcohols, usually they are used in specialty sweet type items for diabetics or low carb eaters. If you're eating something like sugar free candy or Atkins bars, then they do have sugar alcohols.
  • sdenereaz
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »

Ah I see. Thanks. No, won't be having any of that.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have started out myself with the induction phase of Atkin's (20g of net carbs per day for 2 weeks) and lost 10lbs. This was a great way to kick start my weight loss and helped me a lot with my cravings. After that, I have been adding about 10g of carbs to my diet weekly. Now I eat about 80g to 150g of carbs per day and I am still losing. :) I missed my bread and rice a lot! So now I buy a sugar-free whole wheat bread and I can enjoy my BLT sandwiches again! Now I still don't eat sweets and such, but I enjoy a bunch of good carbs such as fruits, potatoes, rice, bread, popcorn.

It's a great plan and I know a few people that eat low-carb all the time, but for me I knew this was a kick-start and I would incorporate carbs back gradually into my diet (which is what Atkin's advocate) and this is exactly how it worked out so I am pretty pleased about my experience.

There is a lot of people that are against it, but I think it is great if you have a problem managing your carb intake. By taking it out and incorporating it back slowly, you cut out the bad stuff and slowly bring back the good stuff IMO.

You don't NEED to do Atkin's to lose weight, but it has helped me. :)

Good luck!
  • sdenereaz
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    I have started out myself with the induction phase of Atkin's (20g of net carbs per day for 2 weeks) and lost 10lbs. This was a great way to kick start my weight loss and helped me a lot with my cravings. After that, I have been adding about 10g of carbs to my diet weekly. Now I eat about 80g to 150g of carbs per day and I am still losing. :) I missed my bread and rice a lot! So now I buy a sugar-free whole wheat bread and I can enjoy my BLT sandwiches again! Now I still don't eat sweets and such, but I enjoy a bunch of good carbs such as fruits, potatoes, rice, bread, popcorn.

It's a great plan and I know a few people that eat low-carb all the time, but for me I knew this was a kick-start and I would incorporate carbs back gradually into my diet (which is what Atkin's advocate) and this is exactly how it worked out so I am pretty pleased about my experience.

There is a lot of people that are against it, but I think it is great if you have a problem managing your carb intake. By taking it out and incorporating it back slowly, you cut out the bad stuff and slowly bring back the good stuff IMO.

You don't NEED to do Atkin's to lose weight, but it has helped me. :)

Good luck!

Thanks so much. Sounds like the same idea as me!