Please help, it's just not moving!

Options
Hey guys this is my first post although I have been using myfitnesspal for a while. I need to lose about 10 stone in total and I've been going at it for a month (with 1 week gap in the middle) and the weight is just not shifting! I am sticking to the calories on here and I am almost always bang on with the nutrition graph daily. I drink plenty water and I'm exercising on bike and sit ups. I've always stood by the motto "put in less than you burn". Why is it not coming off, what am I doing wrong? I'm getting desperate and feeling seriously demotivated :(

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So it's been two weeks. (The gap is a reset.)

Not moving at all or just slow? How are your expectations.
    How is your logging? Could be improper logging.
    Were you exercising before or is this new? It could be swelling.
    TOM?

Give it a another few weeks.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh all of your solid food? Do you eat back you exercise calories, and if so, how are you measuring/estimating calories burned?

Can you open your food diary?
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're going to get people telling you to open your diary and post you stats so they can help you. Do it. MFP has some really knowledgable people on who've lost more pounds than you can count. But they can only help you if they have the right info.

Good luck and welcome.
  • bagzy121
    bagzy121 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah 2 weeks, its moved 1 pound loss. Wasn't exercising before no, I'm logging everything (almost obsessively) and weighing everything too. I'm also using the fitbit HR for more accuracy. I'll keep at it just would love a little boost.
  • bagzy121
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't mind posting stats which part would be helpful? I go off the calories burned from the exercise bike and then other exercise just by the fitbit, I try not to eat back the calories sometimes do though.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bagzy121 wrote: »
    Yeah 2 weeks, its moved 1 pound loss. Wasn't exercising before no, I'm logging everything (almost obsessively) and weighing everything too. I'm also using the fitbit HR for more accuracy. I'll keep at it just would love a little boost.

So you lost 1/2 lb per week. That's an ok rate. It might not be fantastic but those will come too. You'll see swooshes and slow weeks. Consider that some more could be hidden by water retention due to increase in exercise, TOMS, etc.

you are logging, great! That's often a problem.

So give it time and don't go crazy - that leads to giving up!
    in a few weeks this will be just a memory, most likely.
    Keep on swimming.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Patience and consistency. Keep logging, keep moving and don't give up!
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, since you are logging everything it could be that your fitbit is over estimating your calories burned, could be water retention, too much sodium, that time of month etc.

Be patient, be proud of yourself for making good changes in your life and keep on the right track. All the best to you!
  • bagzy121
    Options
    Thanks guys, Ill keep at it. Last time I did this I lost a good 2 stone quite quickly, difference is I wasn't exercising then! (I did put on weight at TOM but lost it again)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't long enough. Keep doing what you're doing and it will come. Use a food scale and keep moving. You've got this!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Age, height, current weight, activity level without exercise, goal weight loss per week and goal weight

Plus do it in lbs because a lot of people don't get stones here

And do open your diary so people can advise
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    bagzy121 wrote: »

You might hold onto more water due to exercising. It often happens when you change your workout regime. Just as an example: I got a pretty bad cold and stopped exercising for two weeks. First I lost a lot of weight, then it stabilized back to normal loss. I started workout out a few days ago again and actually gained back a bit of weight, presumably water, and now things are running normal again.
  • chrisf63
    Options
    You didn't mention how your clothes fit. Even though the scale's not moving fast, you may building muscle (heavier than fat) and slimming down!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I look at it like this.. It really has only been two weeks per what you stated.

It took me 5 weeks of the following:

I started exercising (30 minutes 4 times a week)
    I started MFP (calorie counting)
    I started using a Fitbit (3 weeks after the above to monitor activity)
    I started watching sodium
    I started drinking half my body weight in water. (about )

My body had to shift to a new way of eating and exercising. One day you will step on the scale and boom... the scale will shift... But I will tell you... YOUR MEASUREMENTS are the true sign not the scale.

The scale fluctuates between 2, 3, 4 even 5 pounds.... Patience is your friend...

PS If you are not truly eating a deficit then this could be your problem. Log your calories and be honest with what you log in your diary... You will be amazed how this really works..

PSS I am also a believer in knowing your numbers to create a modest deficit.. If you do not know your BMR, average TDEE then this too can be a stepping stone in your results. This can help assist you to make your plan, tweak your plan if necessary.... .
  • bagzy121
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks so much for all the tips. I have started doing the 5:2 diet now and more importantly hid the scales so I'm not on them daily because it was deflating me when I hadn't lost. I will start upping my water intake and also stop being so hard on myself!

• Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My advice to you is to change your diet to one you can do for life. If you don't think you can do the 5:2 forever, then don't start it because when you get to goal and you go back to eating 'normally' you may start to see the weight come back on.

5:2 is just the same as MFP but with the calories shifted around a bit. You are still eating a calorific deficit (in order to lose weight) but in a different way. I prefer to have a decent amount of calories to eat each day (but each to their own).

Secondly my body has been mucking around with the same 3lbs for 3 weeks. Up down, up down. :angry: It has actually been helpful weighing every day to see how my body is working. Rather than being deflated, I now know that the scale is not always a great indicator of progress.

But it was nice to see those 3lbs go, plus one extra today! :smiley: It'll be back on tomorrow, no doubt, but it doesn't matter because the overall trend is down!

Good luck. X
  • memo_albaiti
    Options
    Hey dear,
    Just keep doing what you doing now and here quick tip for you to see results, just play with ur carbs intake, one day high carbs done day medium carbs n one day low carbs ! Repeat this cycle n you shall see results in two to three weeks... Good luck
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    chrisf63 wrote: »
    You didn't mention how your clothes fit. Even though the scale's not moving fast, you may building muscle (heavier than fat) and slimming down!

Building muscle is an extremely slow process. She wouldn't have put on enough muscle to be a noticeable difference on the scale in just two weeks, especially if her main form of exercise is biking. Women take even longer than men to build muscle; I'd say at most 4lbs a year of muscle for women.

OP, it's most likely water retention. When I first started working out, my weight stagnated for about two weeks before finally moving again. Still, you lost a pound which means the scale is moving down, it's just not going quickly. You should be proud you lost a pound, that's no easy feat.
  • bagzy121
    Options
    Just a quick update. I've (mostly stuck at it) and lost 9 pounds in total now. Thanks for the advice everyone. I couldnt stick to the 5/2 the upset on the 2 days wasnt worth it lol
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 weeks to figure things out and then started losing about 1-2lb per week.