Discouraged

Options
Im feeling very discouraged. I need to lose 20 pounds and it's just not easy for me! I hate counting calories! I just want to eat and be thin!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    OK, is that out of your system now? :)

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think anyone LIKES it. But if you want to lose the 20lbs its the best, long term way to do it. It's free, it's available and really once it becomes a habit (they say a habit takes 28 days to form) it's really kinda easy.

So, tough love time, get off your sorry horse and get going. Buy a food scale, use it, log your food appropriately, move more and get those 20lbs off. What are you waiting for! Get comfortable, stay awhile.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's not easy for most people. But having said that you do not need to starve to lose weight.

Eat at a small deficit and take your time. Aim for 0.5-1lb loss per week and eat back exercise calories. This way you will have a sensible calorie goal that is easier to stick to and allows you to still eat the foods you enjoy.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Honey, people in hell want ice water. I want to be a millionaire and be able to travel the world and not have to work. I want to have a summer home in Minnesota and a winter home in Hawaii.

We can want whatever we want; doesn't mean we're going to get it.

At least this you can work for and achieve. I can't easily achieve being a millionaire. At least with this, you just have to do it and plan for it.
  • ladieofthebees
    ladieofthebees Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I do! But honestly, just stick with it, once you get over the initial bump it gets easier. Also, you can exercise more to earn more calories - and as a bonus get all the happy, happy endorphins :smile:
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Nope....it's simple, but it's not easy. You're an adult, though, and you know all about needs vs wants, so you are totally able to do this. Don't be discouraged.

If you have not already done this, work through MFP's profile and goals setup and get your estimate of how many calories you should eat. Set a reasonable goal of, say, a half pound loss per week. See? Simple!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's not easy for most of us. I am having a difficult time finding just the right deficit, therefore not losing regularly. But we just keep on fighting for what we want...to be a size we can live with, to be able to wear our clothes comfortably, to just feel the right size. You, and I can do this! Good luck with the journey!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OK, is that out of your system now? :)

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard!

I love this!! Start with serving sizes!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Find an approach to losing weight that works best for you. For some, counting calories is the best approach. For others, reducing carbs seems easier, for others, following a formal diet seems easier. You get to decide what works best for you. cheers!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Im feeling very discouraged. I need to lose 20 pounds and it's just not easy for me! I hate counting calories! I just want to eat and be thin!

It is hard. And counting calories it totally a pain in the rear.

The real question is this a goal for real for you? Contrary to a lot of rhetoric on this site, I think it's okay for it not to be a goal. You might have others. Maybe you wanna learn to knit or write a book or play guitar or learn to be a day trader and clean up on the stock market or whatever...

But if this is a goal, it's like any real goal. It's pointless to do it unless you're gonna commit and sometimes you'll deal with the "I don't wannas" and feeling like it's a pain in the butt.
  • srdeaver
    srdeaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard and it sucks, but with a plan and support you can do it.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options

That sounds pretty childish. You can't have everthing you want on a silver platter in life. You have to work for it. And it's worth it!

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was reluctant to weigh my food all of the time. When I first started, it took longer to weigh and log the food than it did to eat it. Now, after almost 45 days, it seems routine.