Switching cals for different meals

Options
I usually split my 1200 cals roughly 200 for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 600 for dinner & 200 for snacks.
Has anyone ever tried having more cals for breakfast & lunch then a smaller dinner so most cals are eaten earlier in the day? Just wondering if it has a positive effect on weight loss. Thanks.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. So eating 100 less at breakfast and 100 more at dinner is not going to accomplish anything. What matters is that you are in a consistent calorie deficit.

calorie deficit = weight loss
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1200 in one meal or split anyone way you like, makes no difference to weight loss. So long as you stay in defect you will loose weight.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference at all when you eat your calories to weight loss. Morning, noon or night. All in one go or divided how you like. Your body doesn't care when it gets its fuel.

It's up to you how you eat them, to fit in with your lifestyle.

I use mine as a weekly amount and divide them how I need them over the week. That way I can go over some days but still be in overall deficit.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it better to eat less early in the day, so I always have something to look forward to. But I usually divide my calories pretty evenly across three meals.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time of the day you eat most of your calories for weight loss. You just need to eat the amount of calories you're supposed to eat. But, if you are happier eating a big dinner and smaller other meals, it may help you stick to your plan better. In that way it may have a positive effect.
  • Becky170467
    Becky170467 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was a bad idea to eat carbs after 7-8pm. So it doesn't matter as long as you're within your daily allowance?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1,200 in one meal. Meal timing has no impact on weight loss. The only significance of meal timing is for the sake of hunger.

That said, why such a small number of calories. Your profile says you're trying to lose ~18 lbs. How many lbs/week do you have myfitnesspal set to lose per week? Here's a good guide:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was a bad idea to eat carbs after 7-8pm. So it doesn't matter as long as you're within your daily allowance?

that is a total myth …your body does not shut down/slow down/ etc at 8pm…I regularly eat carbs are 8pm and have zero issues when cutting/losing fat..

so yes, does not matter as long as you are within daily allowance...