Lost in the sea of fitness advice

Options
For many years I have been a regular runner (stable pace for the most part, typical 4-6 miles), it kept the weight down, I enjoyed it, still do despite... More recently I wanted to explore more fitness, since there is so much about the 'shoulds' such as weights and HIIT workouts particularly, so I started to toy with my running, after my weight plateaued. My point is, I feel almost completely discouraged to do my stable runs or elliptical training any more because the attitude these days is that unless you do interval, circuit training, anything else is a waste of time. So the seed of doubt has been successfully planted in my brain. I implemented strength training into my workouts, (it was hard to do for me since I have always been a cardio maniac) but I keep faith. As to my runs, I would like to just go for a run without the thoughts of "speed up, do the intervals, why are you going so slow?" I know if I stick to the same routine my body will not change, so I get that I have to change my workout every so often to be challenged. If anyone had similar dilemma, perhaps even a solution to this conflicting world of fitness advisers, I'll be grateful for any input. And naturally I understand that any form of exercise (walking, etc) is beneficial to us, I just lost the zest and trust in something that I used to enjoy and would love it back. Thanks, Kamila

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    What are you goals? Are you a racer, or in some way focused on optimizing performance in one particular sport? If not, stop obsessing over it. If necessary, put the sport you're obsessing over on the back burner and go find some new ones. If it isn't enjoyable, why bother?
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i'm not probably going to be much help, except to say that shaking things up is always good, and don't let anyone rain on your parade. what works for one person may not work as well for another. You love to run, so do it! Run at your pace, your distance. Toss in some sprints if you want. Do weight training that you like and can do based on your level. The Crossfit/HIIT and what not are great- again though they are not for everyone and they aren't necessarily the end-all/be-all. Do what you like, that keeps you moving and happy and find peace in yourself. otherwise- it's too much like work and who's going to keep that up? I'm a newb to all of this still- but old enough to know that i'm not going to keep up something I hate.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Never stress over exercise. Run if you like it. Go as fast or as slow as you Please. Try to stick with the strength training, it is beneficial. Try different types if straight up lifting weights holds no appeal. Kettlebell, calisthenics, Trx, etc. HIIT might be all the rage but if you don't like it, it's not mandatory
  • KKZ77
    KKZ77 Posts: 9
    Options
    But you are helpful! You spelled out what I intuitively already knew, I stick to what I enjoy, despite the conflicting advice out there. Thank you!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Your goals should dictate your exercise choices. If you are not training and just looking to get your heart pumping, by all means do whatever you enjoy that does that. Exercise and training should be fun =]
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    People will tell you all kinds of things. Fashions and fads and new studies in exercise and nutrition are here today and gone tomorrow. You do the workout that you like, full stop. It's your body and your quality of life, you make the decisions.
  • KKZ77
    Options
    thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. As far as change goes, I did make a commitment to strength training, benefits are palpable, anything else, not so sure, I'll keep my running the way I love them. Thanks again!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding something else that you can aim for in your running. See new sights, update your playlist, learn a new language, etc. It sounds like you are a person who likes to compete with yourself and constantly improve so maybe having something to work towards that YOU are defining would quiet down those voices about the stuff that other people have defined.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I walk, run, and bike because I enjoy the workout. Who are you exercising for. yourself or some fitness expert? Do what you enjoy and what makes you feel good, it is your life.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    KKZ77 wrote: »
    If anyone had similar dilemma, perhaps even a solution to this conflicting world of fitness advisers, I'll be grateful for any input. And naturally I understand that any form of exercise (walking, etc) is beneficial to us, I just lost the zest and trust in something that I used to enjoy and would love it back.

I run because I enjoy it, I cycle because I enjoy it, and I swim, because I enjoy it.

I do some resistance training because it helps my running, but only because it helps my running and I'd rather do some resistance work than end up unable to run from injury.

I do some speedwork, because it helps my race performances.

It's about setting objectives and working towards them for me. At the moment I'm marathon training, wtih an objective to get to 4:15, so the resistance training and speedwork support that objective.

If you're just doing strength training and speedwork without an obejctive in mind then I can understand why it'll get frustrating.

If you just want to run for the sheer joy of running, then do that. You don't need to do other stuff if you don't want to, but it can have some benefits.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You don't have to change up anything unless you want to. FWIW, "stable" runs are very good for fitness and are necessary for any distance running goals. Really depends on if you have some new goal in mind.

I believe for overall health it's good to do cardio of some type and strength training of some type. After that, the details are do what you enjoy and what fits your personal goals.

For me, I sign up for races and always have new running goals (new distances, new PR). Keeps me challenging myself in that sport. Most of my runs are the steady type, because they work best for my long-term goals of being a distance runner. Speedwork happens, but it's part of a plan. It doesn't trump steady runs, just part of a plan to improve myself for my personal goals. I weightlift because that's the strength training I love and the benefits are fantastic.

So, again, do what works for you and your interests.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    KKZ77 wrote: »
    thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. As far as change goes, I did make a commitment to strength training, benefits are palpable, anything else, not so sure, I'll keep my running the way I love them. Thanks again!

Ultimately you definitely need to focus on what you enjoy. The one thing to consider is that you can improve your running by adding some strength training to the mix, and it doesn't really need to be more than twice per week.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ugh, people just love to give advice. I say do what works for you. If running is making you happy, keep running. I started Crossfit a while ago because I was tired of working out alone, but I've cut back on it recently because I missed running too much. My take is that if you're meeting your goals and are happy and healthy, there's no point in listening to what other people tell you to do because your body is yours and no one else's. (The exception to that is if you're paying them to tell you what to do, like a nutritionist or trainer.)
  • KKZ77
    Options
    Once again thank you for your input, truly appreciate it!
  • You know yourself best.

I also felt overwhelmed at all of the contradictory advice out there...and not just with fitness...but everything!

Then I just decided to go with my own flow. If it felt right to me I pursued more info on whatever methods I gravitated towards.

I also try to respect myself if I need to change things. Some view it as not following through, I see it as listening to my body, mind and spirit. If I want to go back to it...it will happen.

I love weightlifting and recently started it up again. I recently tried twice to find a personal trainer that would really respect my own goals and twice I felt like the trainer was just spitting out rote information that went completely against some critical things I just described about myself...so decided to keep plugging away with what works for me and try a trainer at a later date if I want.

I personally love single set weight lifting - which many people do not believe works...but that's because my body loves it and it works for me (seems like only my brother really gets this because he recently commented that our bodies really respond well to weights and exercise). Of course, doing it is a whole other matter!

Keep listening to yourself! You know best!

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle
  • KKZ77
    Options
    thanks M.C. Turtle. I am totally getting what you say, I am very much a loner (as far as some advice goes) I may give it a shot but in a long run I just go back to what has worked for me in the past, and mainly what I enjoy.