Minastrin 24 Fe... weight gain anyone?

Options
Hey everyone. I haven't been active on here in quite some time. I was taking Loestrin FE as birth control for about three years prior to switching to Minastrin fe 24 about 8 months ago (Loestrin was discontinued). My OB/GYN told me that it was the same pill, just a different name.

Prior to starting Minastrin I had been working out regularly (the Tone it Up videos, walking, weight lifting), trying to eat "clean" and reasonably healthy. I noticed that I was losing weight slow but steadily. Almost as soon as I started the Minastrin I noticed that my weight loss stopped, and I have probably gained about 10 pounds. I am back here tracking calories, and eating VERY healthily, working out almost every day and drinking enough water.

What the heck!? I am so frustrated. I asked my doctor whether it was the Minastrin and he said that birth control pills don't "cause weight gain". I am going to see a new doctor and am going to switch to another pill. Has anyone else had trouble with this one? It's so frustrating to be so dedicated to eating right and working out, and have this throw a wrench in it all! I'm also getting married in 11 months and wanted to continue to trim down and tone, but I either stay the same weight, or gain! And I tried tracking my measurements, nothing!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Eastsidelov3
    Options
    Hey!
    I'm a little relieved to see someone else with the same problem I've just experienced. I guess every doctor is different but my OB/GYN said it could definitely be a cause because your hormone levels are fluctuating, and that there's really no definite way to tell which pill is best for you...its essentially trial and error to see what works best with your body chemistry.

During the summer I was doing the same thing, working out regularly, eating healthy, and overall being active. I was happy with my progress and the changes I was making to my body. In early Sept I went on Lo Loestrin Fe, and from then to Nov I ballooned 20 lbs & had INSATIABLE hunger & food cravings. Total, I gained about 25, putting me back just under my starting weight, so I know how frustrated you feel!! I switched about a month ago to Skyla & off the pill completely. Since I got that placed, I've been slowly getting motivation back and losing my cravings.

I've been back seriously tracking & working out for just 2 days now and I've lost 1.6 lbs (I gained a lot of water weight). I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you might just have to keep trying different forms of birth control until you figure out which one works best for you. They're all going to have pros and cons. Some people actually lose weight when they start taking it...I was hoping that'd be me but its not lol. Just don't drive yourself crazy over weight gain from that, it'll mess with your head big time. Best of luck!!