Heavy weightlifting

Options
So I've been gaming for a while and always thought i was OK with the weight level i used.
I squatted with 30kg, deadlift 20kg and bench about 30kg. Clearly this isn't very heavy. Can anyone give me tips on how to get stronger to use heavier weights?

also, I've only recently started deadlifting so still battling to keep my form when I try heavier.
Thank you :)

Replies

• danyafkloppers
    Options
    *gyming sorry
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Are you following any sort of proven beginner program (e.g., Stronglifts / Starting Strength / New Rules of Lifting for Women). If not, do so -- creating your own program is not a job for the inexperienced.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    recommend more gaming
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    patience and practice. Do the lifts and pay attention to form, especially while you are still learning.

Getting on a good program will help too. Something like stronglifts or starting strength are good programs.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    you might say strength is something of a relative thing too. the weights you posted (I don't do Kg lol) might not be much, but if your 140 lbs then they are more respectable numbers then if your 250 lbs
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re looking to build strength, then keep your work to 3 - 6 reps for no more than five sets. If you can do six for more than two of those sets, use more weight. I would stick to compound movements (like strong lifts).

Eat enough protein to support muscle recovery, make sure you’re giving your muscles time to recovery (48 - 72 hours between work session), and make sure you’re getting 8 quality hours of sleep each night.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just started strong lifts 5x5. It's super simple. Great for progression and has an app to help with training.
  • danyafkloppers
    danyafkloppers Posts: 5
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm about 120 lbs @No_Finish_Line‌ . So I'm lifting about 66 lbs.
    Thank you, @AllanMisner‌, will try that.
    I also haven't been following any programme as of yet but I'll see what advice they'll give as well :smile: )
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Time and consistency are key to getting stronger.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Check out StrongLifts 5x5 -- they have programs to follow as well as videos showing how to do the lifts.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Madcows 5x5 has been the best gains in terms of added weight that ive ever done. However, this is an intermediate program so I would recommend starting strength.