gaining not losing!

Options
Up 2.5lbs been logging 1350 - 1500 calories for about a week now. I feel I should have lost a little. NOT GAINED! I didn't exercise this week. Was a busy week, but still....

Replies

• Mikeyloye
    Mikeyloye Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had a melt down at weekend, seriously a full on hissy fit melt down.

I was really good with the gym and exercise last week. Well under my calorie goals and worked out more then I did the weeks before.

Yet those scales said I put 2 pound on I could have thrown then out the window.

I re-evaluated my recordings to see if I ate things I shouldn't, whilst I couldn't be sure I think I know what it was.

Point is, so long as your keeping yourself in your calorie goal and working out you will lose. Sometimes you do have changes, girls apparently gain around the time of the month. I am lucky I don't have that problem but there are so many variables don't get down about it just keep on going and push a little harder next week see if that helps.

Keep an eye on it and tweek things, you will find the cause eventually
  • mmcp09
    mmcp09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't panic right away.. When you start exercising you will put on muscle and muscle always weighs more. Not to mention your weight can fluctuate like crazy due to many factors, like:
    - high sodium levels, which means you retain water
    - that time of the month for ladies..

Those are some that I have read and sound logical to me anyway.. :smile:

I've gained since starting too.. I know part of it is a loss of control last week where I didn't exercise for about 4 -5 days and ate whatever I felt like because I felt like it... lol. Can't do that... :s

So I am restarting. Anyone know of any support groups, or want to start one? I haven't been able to find any that are starting in February..
  • sarbear112084
    sarbear112084 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How long have you been up 2.5lb? It could just be fluctation. If you are up that much consistently for a week or 2, then i would consider it a true gain but if it's just a day or a few days, it could be water weight.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    mmcp09 wrote: »
    Don't panic right away.. When you start exercising you will put on muscle and muscle always weighs more.

If you are eating at a deficit you will not put on muscle. It's not possible.

Are you weighing your food? Everything you eat and drink? Measuring cups are for liquid only, you must use a food scale to weigh food otherwise you'll have no idea how much you are eating.

You could be retaining water as mentioned above, my weight fluctuates upwards of 4lbs if i have a lot of sodium the day before.

Don't freak out after a week. It could be that you haven't gone to the bathroom regularly or water retention but if you aren't tracking your food 100% accurately, you can't be sure you are eating at a deficit.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Up 2.5lbs been logging 1350 - 1500 calories for about a week now. I feel I should have lost a little. NOT GAINED! I didn't exercise this week.
    1 - give it a few weeks, then adjust your calories down if you're still gaining or maintaining

2 - 2.5 lbs isn't a big change; that could be a bottle of water & big meal that hasn't gone through your digestion, or did you have something high in sodium or carbs recently? (Both cause your body to hold water temporarily, but it will go away in a couple days.)

3 - Here's a newbie help post which includes links to helpful info such as sexypants (go read it now, then come back here), realistic goal setting (weight, calories, macros), accurate food measurement & logging, motivation, etc.

4 - find a reasonable calorie goal and eat it; ignore exercise calories

5 - weigh &/or measure all your food until you get used to portion sizes, to be sure you're eating what you think you're eating
    mmcp09 wrote:
    Don't panic right away. When you start exercising you will put on muscle and muscle always weighs more.
    According to this body fat calculator, I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of lean body mass. I would have been happy simply to maintain muscle, or lose very little of it.
    It's unlikely someone would lose fat & gain the same amount of muscle at the same time.
    But a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. It just takes up less space.

51637601.png
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Water weight makes the scale fluctuate by a couple of pounds every day. If this is a one time upward tick, don't sweat it. If it's a permanent gain or you continue to gain or not lose, you may want to review your calorie allocations rather than try to restrict further. Be sure you're measuring your food portions as much as possible, preferably by kitchen scale.
  • 40gottogo
    40gottogo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Up 2.5lbs been logging 1350 - 1500 calories for about a week now. I feel I should have lost a little. NOT GAINED! I didn't exercise this week.
    1 - give it a few weeks, then adjust your calories down if you're still gaining or maintaining

2 - 2.5 lbs isn't a big change; that could be a bottle of water & big meal that hasn't gone through your digestion, or did you have something high in sodium or carbs recently? (Both cause your body to hold water temporarily, but it will go away in a couple days.)

3 - Here's a newbie help post which includes links to helpful info such as sexypants (go read it now, then come back here), realistic goal setting (weight, calories, macros), accurate food measurement & logging, motivation, etc.

5 - weigh &/or measure all your food until you get used to portion sizes, to be sure you're eating what you think you're eating
    mmcp09 wrote:
    Don't panic right away. When you start exercising you will put on muscle and muscle always weighs more.
    According to this body fat calculator, I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of lean body mass. I would have been happy simply to maintain muscle, or lose very little of it.
    It's unlikely someone would lose fat & gain the same amount of muscle at the same time.
    But a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. It just takes up less space.

51637601.png

• 40gottogo
    Options
    Thank you all for the great info. I'd have to say..I need to watch the sodium and carbs. It's most likely water. I've been checking my nutrition stats here too. I don't get near enough iron or potassium. I'm starting back on the vitamins. I really need to exercise more also. I'm going to work harder and smarter!
  • 40gottogo
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

mmcp09 wrote:

51637601.png
    40gottogo wrote: »
    Up 2.5lbs been logging 1350 - 1500 calories for about a week now. I feel I should have lost a little. NOT GAINED! I didn't exercise this week. Was a busy week, but still....
    40gottogo wrote: »