I gained!

Options
I am so upset. Got on the scales this morning and had gained 2 pounds. I am just starting my lifestyle change and this is really discouraging

Replies

• myfreeacct
    myfreeacct Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You did it! pat yourself on the back you made it this far think of how good you feel over what the scale says. If you feel better on the inside you will feel better on the outside. I just started too, this is day 3 for me. I don't even own a scale guess I tossed it out! lol I don't care what it would say. I have just been trying to get up and get moving. I can only do the stationary bike for 6 mins at a time. I am doing it one baby step at a time gonna try to do a little more everyday. Bottom line is I feel better already. Keep your chin up and keep going maybe just skip the scale for a while.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Juliesdawg wrote: »
    I am so upset. Got on the scales this morning and had gained 2 pounds. I am just starting my lifestyle change and this is really discouraging

Weight loss is not linear. My weight fluctuates 2 pounds up and down. It depends on my sodium intake, TOM and how much exercise I had. May be you should only weigh once a week at the same time first thing in the morning.
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Weight loss is not linear. My weight fluctuates 2 pounds up and down. It depends on my sodium intake, TOM and how much exercise I had. May be you should only weigh once a week at the same time first thing in the morning.[/quote]

^This. I was weighing everyday (sometimes 2x a day) for awhile and the fluctuation on the scale was making me want to just stop -- Stop trying - stop running - stop logging - just stop. Something had to change; I quit weighing myself everyday and pretty much weigh maybe once a week or every other week now. Go by several other indicators. You know in yourself how you feel, how your clothes are starting to feel (tight or loose?) how you are sleeping and being able to move. The scale gives us an overview after time - more important keep at it and keep moving!
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Take the scale with a grain of salt and keep going!! Don't let the scale discourage you, we have ALL been there. Just revisit your diaries, and if you're doing everything right, if you're accurately logging your food and not overestimating your workouts, then remember, sometimes it goes up, but what goes up, must come down!
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If your new lifestyle change included a new workout routine you can expect to gain and hold onto some water weight, just ignore it and take measurements and photos for progress pics.
  • gnmarshat
    gnmarshat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened with me! Very discouraging, but I knew even before getting on the scale I was going to be playing with my head. I feel firmer and know I've made a change exercise and eating wise. One day at a time and we will see change I'm sure.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged--it takes time to really see true results. I weigh several times a week, and I see fluctuations up and down, but what is more important to me is the trend over time (at least a month). If the overall trend is going down, that's what counts. Sometimes I think it is helpful to weigh daily and track it, no matter what the number is, so that you can get a feel for the normal fluctuations, and so they are not as shocking when they occur. Then over time, you'll be able to see a downward trend. Also, taking measurements and/or progress pictures can be really helpful to validate your efforts, in spite of what the scale says.
  • lisabrezina1980
    lisabrezina1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh that damn scale!! Mine broke this morning, and it's almost a relief. Anyways, don't get discouraged! As others have said weight will fluctuate. Especially around TOM.
    furthermore, watch your salt and fiber in take. Drink tons of water today and I'm willing to bet tomorrow will give you a different number.
    I'm a little short of a month in. I have lost 13 pounds and I feel stuck. I thought I would be so much further by now. But! I'm working out, I reach new goals on the Treadmill daily, I am feeling confident doing weights.
    Do not give up over 2 pounds. You are just beginning, just like anything else practice makes perfect you will find your stride and you will crush it and go even further. Good luck!
  • goofydee30
    goofydee30 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Could be your building muscle mass as well, "muscle weighs more than fat " which looks nice &firm. I was having the same issue as everyone else but someone once told me to look @ my inches lost & not my scale. which I'd rather have & noticing my clothes are fitting much looseer now ! Either way don't give up because you have only begun. Keep moving forward & eventually you'll love the number on the scale. No workouts or not eating healthy equals no good results. Just be patient with your self ,"Slow n steady wins the race "