Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Smoothies

I thought I would start making smoothies for breakfast - so I have been making one that has: 1/4 cup pineapple, 1/4 cup mango, 1/2 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup kale, 1/2 banana, 1/4 apple, 2 TSP of parsley and about 1/2 cup pineapple juice and a smidge of apricot juice. Well, the numbers on it are way higher than what I thought -- even on the calories-- 423 CALORIES! :( I thought it was going to be something healthy, but guess not.

Any thoughts on what I am gaining nutrient wise compared to the big number of calories I'm getting.

Replies

• nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    The Pineapple Juice probably has a lot of sugar, what about doing almond milk or even water. I make mine every morning. 1 cup banana and strawberry blend, big handful of spinach a yogurt and almond milk. and now I add protein powder as well. without the protein its about a 200 calorie meal.

Just curious, why you adding parsley ?
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Sounds really high in sugar with all those different fruits and fruit juices in there.

Not sure if you wanted feedback or suggestions, so if you don't want suggestions feel free to ignore this part of my post:

Switch out the pineapple and mango for blackberries, raspberries, and cranberries. They have less sugar. I would get rid of the apple altogether because underneath all that other stuff I would barely taste it.

I would blend it with water instead of juice at first just to get it liquid-y, then add less juice after you blend it if you want it to be a bit sweeter.
  • I do the same and have a smoothie for breakfast every morning on weekdays. It's easy to prepare and I can take it to the office. I usually aim for 150 to 200 calories per smoothie and that will keep me going until lunch :)

I usually go for:

150ml juice (mango and papaya is my favourite!)
    50g banana
    40g carrot
    5g ginger
    40g nectarine/apple/etc.

Super tasty! I recommend adding carrot as they contain very little calories and taste lovely and ginger to spice things up a little.
  • I will try using water instead....good idea. Not sure why the parsley, it was just in the recipe. It does give it a bit of a
  • PS: When I really crave something sweet I go for low fat almond milk, frozen banana and low fat vanilla yoghurt :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    You have plenty of fruit in there already so you really don't need the fruit juice. Just use water instead...
  • J72FIT
    Sounds really high in sugar with all those different fruits and fruit juices in there..

Sugar is not a problem...

• Crossfitjessi
    Crossfitjessi Posts: 45
    edited February 2015
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Sounds really high in sugar with all those different fruits and fruit juices in there..

Sugar is a problem, prolonged high intake of sugar causes diabetes.
  • I just looked at the numbers again and the apricot juice and 1/2 banana apricot juice is adding over 200 calories!! Maybe tomorrow iwill try cutting those out and see how it taste.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT wrote: »

Sugar is a problem, prolonged high intake of sugar causes diabetes.

Sugar does not cause diabetes. Being overweight (from eating too much) causes diabetes. Once you have diabetes your ability to tolerate sugar is impaired...
  • J72FIT
    I just looked at the numbers again and the apricot juice and 1/2 banana apricot juice is adding over 200 calories!! Maybe tomorrow iwill try cutting those out and see how it taste.

Right, skip the juice and use a banana and an apricot instead. Will make it thicker and add some fiber...
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Smoothies make me hungry. Your results may vary.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Jolinia wrote: »

I bet it's mostly all in your head... thinking hungry thoughts can make someone hungry real quick :)
  • Jolinia wrote: »

Really? They do the opposite for me.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    gostumpy wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »

I bet it's mostly all in your head... thinking hungry thoughts can make someone hungry real quick :)

Nope. It's not. I tried everything. I put nuts and seeds in for more fat and protein, they were delicious, high calorie, I had lots energy on them (but a crash later), really wanted it to work, but it just doesn't for me.

That said, in a way it could be all in my head, just not purely psychologically. I did horrible things to my body for several years, I was double my current weight, I ate sugar all day long, I didn't get off my butt for anything except another trip to the fridge or to the door for the pizza guy. So I could have screwed my satiety and everything else up far more than most people ever will. I always had a sweet tooth anyway, but I blame myself for reaching this point.
  • When I make my morning smoothie I put a handful of frozen raspberrys/summer fruits and a chopped banana, blended with a big table spoon of fat free natural yoghurt and about half a cup of orange juice, I find that when you put too many ingredients in, you can't taste half of it so there isn't much point in them being in the smoothie :smiley: x