Maintenance help for gastric bypass

Options
I was wondering if anybody was to maintenance yet. This is hard for me because I only know how to gain and lose. I read that gastric bypass patients have to eat less than 1000 calories to maintain. Has anybody found that to be true? I've been on maintenance for about a week and my weight fluctuates up and down a couple pounds and I'm eating about 850 calories a day. That is such low calories and some days I find that I don't feel well. Like low blood sugar or something. If anybody has some maintenance advice for gastric bypass I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Jacki.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I hope you get some responses from people who've had gastric bypass, but what did the bariatric dietitian recommend for maintenance?
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    He just said to maintain within five pounds. I go to him on Friday. I'll have to talk to him again.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Great, definitely ask that question. I don't know why you would NEED to eat so little to maintain, especially since you don't even absorb all the calories you eat. But the dietitian will know better. Ask him if it would make sense to bump up by 100 kcals periodically to see how many are the mos calories you can maintain on.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My brother-in-law just had gastric bypass a few months ago (October?) and is using MFP. He has lost 100 pounds - which is amazing. He has 100 left to go.

He was eating 800 calories/day liquid at first. But he is still eating very, very small meals. He feels satisfied though and not hungry - and he is a man who loves his food, hence the bypass. He will always have to eat many small meals. If you don't do that, then eventually your stomach expands and the bypass won't work any more. And, of course, you also need to change your eating habits so you make healthy choices.

He's working closely with a nutritionist.

I would talk to your nutritionist. He said for him, high protein and low carb (under 35%) was the key. He also had to maintain very steady meals so he never got a blood sugar drop. If you've been heavy enough for a bypass you probably are somewhat insulin resistant. Therefore you want to have foods with a low glycemic index so that you have a nice, slow, steady supply of sugar in your system. No insulin spikes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Those calories seem really low for maintenance; I would think you would need higher amounts, but the big problem will be food limitations (if you have digestive issues) and the large number of meals you'd need because the stomach is so small. Definitely talk to the doctor and nutritionist as they'll have the best advice for you.

And congrats on reaching your maintenance weight!
  • mumblebee2014
    mumblebee2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue I had gastric bypass 12 months ago and at goal weight I too only no how to gain or add weight so this whole maintenance is way over my head but my surgeon said I am eating way too few calories at 800 and suggested I work my way up to 1600 which I have done over the last 6 weeks it's not been easy but I do feel better and I'm not putting on weight just sitting on 62.5 kg so I'm happy with this but I do think we need help with education on how to eat to maintain as I'm terrified that I will gain my lost weight I hope this helps
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue I had gastric bypass 12 months ago and at goal weight I too only no how to gain or add weight so this whole maintenance is way over my head but my surgeon said I am eating way too few calories at 800 and suggested I work my way up to 1600 which I have done over the last 6 weeks it's not been easy but I do feel better and I'm not putting on weight just sitting on 62.5 kg so I'm happy with this but I do think we need help with education on how to eat to maintain as I'm terrified that I will gain my lost weight I hope this helps

Wow I couldn't imagine eating that many calories. It seems like it would be impossible. But something I'd like to be able to do cause maybe it would help my head hunger.
  • shurleefox
    Options
    hey there everyone. I am almost 2 years out of having gastric bypass & I can tell you I wasnt offered any maintenance assistance from the Bariactric group. I started at 290 and am now holding at 190- I was down to 170 & Im having trouble keeping it off- not only that but I don't even feel I have a pouch anymore. is anyone else in this boat?
    245112 Posts: 13
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Jackibailey, I agree with above statements be careful with advice given, since your going to your appointment "the would be the best source of information...... Question if I may ask, Did you have the full bypass or did you have a small pouch made.............Thanks for the answer in advance..... Congrats on your progress, keep up the good work........ :) Cat
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm almost 9 years out from Gastric Bypass RNY surgery. I had gained a good 15/20 lbs back due to not following the rules. Go back to the basics, the rules! Avoid other people giving advice that has not had the surgery. Your body is not like anyone else's who has not had this surgery. What helped me to get back on track is the Five Day Pouch Test. I don't feel my pouch anymore, but it reminds me of the rules and gets me back on "protein first", not drinking with my meals and keeping my portions and calories in check. According to research on the internet, I keep reading that below 1000 calories is suggested for maintenance. I see my gastric bypass doctor regularly, but I never ask him about my calorie intake. He reminds me to NOT eat with my meals, stick to small portions, drink water and at least 60-80 grams of protein a day. His advice works. I had gotten pregnant and gained an additional 33 lbs. I just got that back off and now I'm working on that 15/20 lbs off. When I get there, I've learned my lesson to not forget about the rules and follow them! Good Luck! What did your dietician/doctor say?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Cora. I think following your doctor's instructions is so key for all of this.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had WLS Gastric sleeve 6/11/12 and met my personal weight goal in April 2013. I lost 47 pounds pre op and lost as much as 109 post op and was as low as 124 when I started maintenance. It is usual for WLS people to gain back 10 to 15% of their weight when they start adding calories in and go into maintenance mode my WLS surgeon and Nut. said, so around 13 to 19 pounds for me I guess or 140 to 143 for my weight. I went up to 130 and then 135 and then 140 when I added in about 100 cals a day from 1000 cals a day working my way up to what the nut said, 1500 cals a day. I went down to 1300 cals cause I wasn't comfortable eating 1500 cals a day. As long as you follow the rules and make good food choices you can maintain at 1300 cals with exercise 3 to 5 times a week. Last summer I moved and wasn't going to the gym for my usually workouts and the scale went up. I know between that and not so good food choices is why I gained and went over 140. I am now trying to get that plus some more weight off currently. Maintenance is HARD! Harder than Pre Op or right after surgery. Enjoy that "honeymoon" period of 1 year after WLS cause after that things get tough. Old habits come back. With the sleeve the good thing is I can eat about anything but it is also the bad thing about the sleeve. My WLS does alot of pre op screening and you have meet team approval with their WLS psych, WLS nut., WLS physical therapist and the WLS surgeon before you can even get your insurance papers sent in for surgery approval, wait time when you start the program they tell you is 6 months to 2 years. Alot depends on if you follow their instructions and what they want you to do pre op so you will be successful post op. I started my process in Feb 2012 and got team approval in April 2012 and waited till June 2012 to have sleeve done due to work commitments. I followed all their rules and was a model patient but it is HARD after you loose all the weight!!! Like I have always said, WLS is surgery on the gut not your head!! It is true, if you eat or make poor choices due to head issues like boredom, stress and so on it is still there after you loose the weight. I do go to our WLS monthly support group and have 1 year post op appointments too. If I need help I can always call and make an appointment but my current health insurance will not cover zip with any of this now. I had a different health insurance back when I had the surgery and till June 2014 that covered alot.

Good luck!
  • notnatseel
    notnatseel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in Sept 2012. Lost 110 to reach my goal in Sept 2013. Currently eat about 1200-1500 cal/day depending on how much I exercise. For me the key is weighing myself every week to stay within 5lbs of my goal... if the scale creeps up I cut back on carbs and swap a protein shake for one meal a day until it comes back down. My fitness pal and my fitbit are great tools to keep me on track!
  • lynchmrs
    lynchmrs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was really helpful. I had WLS (RNY) 12/2013 and lost 106 lbs. I've gained back 6 pounds an am concerned about regaining. Thanks so much
  • lefflerkelley
    Options
    Maintenance is HARD. 100 times harder than losing. I'm 3 years out and from a low of 155 (I started at 320) I'm up to 170 and seem to be able to maintain that without a constant struggle. Would I like to be back down there? Yes but I'd rather stick to my 1200 calories a day + regular exercise and stay where I'm at than cut below that, be hungry and just be kind of miserable. If I moved more than I do I think I'd see the scale move...next goal though. Wanted to get eating and Journaling to become a habit then move to the next step. I think the secret is to always be mindful. If you lose sight it's so easy to slip back into old habits. I will say maintenance is something that is so not a focus in pre surgical "training". Even though I go back to my surgeon twice a year I still struggle with understanding how to do it.