Hi! Just a couple questions :)

Options
Hi! I'm just getting started here on mfp and I'm really excited. I haven't been this motivated in... Well, ever! Wanting to have another baby and get married hasn't motivated me as much as having this plan and support has. So first, thanks so much for that!

I took all my measurements to calculate my body fat % and then calculated my tdee as well as my macros. I was pleasantly surprised when I went from the standard 1200 calories mfp gave me to 1375 that I got based on the calculations I did on the iifym site.

So I adjusted the calories but it won't let me adjust the macros by grams, only by percentages. Should I just leave them at 55% carbs 20% protien and 25% fat? The calculations are at 191.4g carbs, 71.7g protien, 35.9g of fat, and 33-42g of fibre. I'm terrible at math so these calculators have really helped but now I'm kinda stuck.

Also I got these numbers based on exercising 3 times a week. I'd like to exercise more often but didn't want to go overboard on the calculations in case I slip up. Is that going to be just fine as long as I log my exercise and eat back a portion of those calories?

Now I noticed you can log your exercises based on what is available in the system and it will spit out a calorie loss. I've read on mfp that it isn't the most accurate. I'd like to get a heart rate monitor to wear during my workouts and I'm wondering if I do that is there a way to input what it reads. I'm looking into basis peak which looks like a really cool device.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks so much for all the support and inspiration. What an amazing community!

Replies

• eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh and also what do you log your hiit exercises as? Yesterday I logged it as high intensity aerobics :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What is your height and weight? Even with a TDEE calculator, 1375 seems a bit low. Depending on your weight, I might suggest upping protein and cutting carbs a bit.
  • eapple87
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 166.4lbs. I have an embarrassing body fat percentage of 46% and I set my goal on the tdee calculator to aggressive so 20%. Hope this helps and thanks for the reply.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would caution going aggressive since you don't have much to lose. Generally, aggressive goals can increase the amount of muscle loss, which won't help with body fat %. If anything, i would go a slightly less aggressive goal and concentrate on a lifting program that is progressive and focuses on compound lifts. This will help with maintaining muscle mass (which means most will be fat loss).

I would also question where you got 46% body fat from. If it's from a calculator, I wouldn't hold too much trust in it.

Lastly, I would probably put you around 1600 calories, 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. That should help you achieve 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
  • eapple87
    Options
    I definitely want to keep the little muscle I have! There were three settings for amounts to cut from my tdee 15%, 20%, and 25% and I picked the middle of them. I can bump it down to 15% to save the muscle I have.

It was a calculator that gave me the 46% figure. I took several measurements and gave my height, age, and weight and it gave me that percentage. It did say to be more accurate I'd need an underwater test.

I think those percentages would be pretty tough because I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and source my protein from nuts, lentils, and beans but I can certainly try! I added chia seeds to my smoothie so that will help with my protein. I may need to look into a supplement.

Thanks for your reply!
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Supplementing is fine. Are you a vegetarian or something?

And I ran your TDEE - 20% myself and I came up with 1600 assuming you are exercising 3 hours a week. Did you include exercise as part of your TDEE?
  • eapple87
    Options
    I don't eat meat and I limit my dairy intake.

I included exercising 3 days a week. I was going to put 4 but I didn't want to let myself down if I missed one. I figured I could just log the work outs and eat back a portion of the calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    eapple87 wrote: »
    I don't eat meat and I limit my dairy intake.

I included exercising 3 days a week. I was going to put 4 but I didn't want to let myself down if I missed one. I figured I could just log the work outs and eat back a portion of the calories.

Not eat for personal reasons or for "health" reasons? Either way it's fine. Because a good whey protein powder can help you achieve your goals.

Either way, these are all estimates and you should pick a number and try it for 4 to 6 weeks. Based on actual results, you can modify your number. For example, if you are losing 1 lb a week at 1600 calories, it would suggest your TDEE is 2100 calories. The bigger thing is using a food scale and logging daily for accuracy.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If your body fat is relatively high -- as many of ours is when we first start out here -- then it's likely you can lose weight at TDEE-20% without risking losing much lean muscle mass. Especially if you're working out three times a week. Is some of that exercise some form of strength training? Anyway, I think a 20% deficit is perfectly reasonable and not overly aggressive.

Remember if you custom-set your goals to TDEE-20%, don't log your exercise or eat back exercise calories on top of that, since that would be double counting. You've already accounted for that exercise in your calorie goal, so make sure you do it regularly! By the way, that answers your question about MFP's estimated burns versus a heart rate monitor; the question is moot if you're using TDEE since you don't need to log exercise with that system, so it doesn't really matter how many calories you burn per workout. All that matters is whether you're losing weight at the predicted rate. Stick with it for a couple of months, remember that your first two weeks or so might have faster losses due to water weight coming off, and there are fluctuations all the time. But after the first two weeks, see what you're trending on a weekly basis, and after 6-8 weeks of that, you can adjust your calories upward or downward based on actual results. For instance, if the calorie calculator tells you that 20% should result in a 0.6lb/week loss, and you're actually seeing 1lb/week, then eat more calories.

Don't worry about being all that exact with your macros. Just find the percentage breakdown that's closest to them and stick with that. Unless you're training at a highly advanced level, there's no benefit to being all that precise. Just aim to come within +/- 5% of that macro breakdown on a weekly basis, and you should get a good balance of nutrition.

Good luck!
  • eapple87
    Options
    I don't eat it for a few reasons, personal and I find it's hard for me to digest. I just bought. Food scale and I started using it yesterday :)

@segacs‌ I didn't think of that double dipping! Thanks for catching that! I think I'm going to take it out of my tdee so I can log it. I'm brand new to exercising so I'm not sure if what I'm doing would count as strength training. I basically look up hiit exercises online and some of them include weights.

Thanks so much for the advice!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

BTW, here is a good list of protein sources that might help you.
  • eapple87
    Options
    That's great, @psulemon‌, thanks!

After adjusting to no exercise my calories went down to 1312.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you use a TDEE calculator you are supposed to incorporate exercise as part of the equation but not eat back exercise calories.
  • segacs
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you use a TDEE calculator you are supposed to incorporate exercise as part of the equation but not eat back exercise calories.

^ This.

If you want to add back exercise calories separately, use the MFP method, since that's what MFP was designed for. Just reduce your goal to a rate that roughly matches your TDEE expected rate of loss. So, instead of 1lb/week, you might need to set MFP to 0.5lbs/week, for instance.
  • eapple87
    Options
    Gah, so much more confusing than I expected! I'll get it though, just need a bit of practice. Thanks for the info.

So do I log exercises above and beyond the 3 I set?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It's simple. If you use the TDEE method, you include exercise up front. If you use MFP you eat back exercise calories. In the end, it works out to be about the same calories over the week. Personally, i like the TDEE method. So I would just eat 1600 calories daily for 4 to 6 week and see how results are. I like this method because you eat the same goal daily which makes it easier to plan and calculate your true TDEE after 4 to 6 weeks.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are vegetarian protein powders out there, too, I've even seen them at Costco. I was going to warn about double-dipping calories but you've gotten straight on that.

As far as a heart rate monitor goes, definitely get one if you want to be fairly accurate on your calorie burns. You can choose the exercise that fits in MFP's list and then just overwrite the calorie burn MFP gives with what your HRM displays. After, entering that exercise seems to go off of what you entered before. Expect that your calorie burns will decrease over time. As you lose mass, you'll burn less calories doing the same exercise. Your body also gets more efficient.

Strength training is definitely the way to go. HIIT can be great but nothing beats lifting heavy things and putting them down again for building and maintaining muscle mass.
  • segacs
    Options
    eapple87 wrote: »
    Gah, so much more confusing than I expected! I'll get it though, just need a bit of practice. Thanks for the info.

So do I log exercises above and beyond the 3 I set?

I know it's a bit confusing at first. Let me see if I can demystify this for you.

When you tell MFP that you plan to exercise 3 times per week, MFP doesn't actually do anything with this information. (I know, I know, so why does it ask you? Good question.) All it's doing is saying that this is your goal, but it's not using that projected exercise burn to calculate your calories. It's setting your base calorie goal based on NEAT -- your burns from normal daily activity excluding exercise. So you'd log ALL your exercise on top of that, including the 3 times per week, and eat back your exercise calories.

Note that what people have said about MFP overestimating exercise calories when you log seems to be true for a lot of people, which is why you might want to eat back only 50-75% of those calories instead of 100% of them, but that's really personal and YMMV. The point is, if you're using MFP, log ALL your exercise. So on the days you exercise, you'll eat more calories. On the days you don't exercise, you'll eat fewer calories.

If you're using TDEE-20%, you log NONE of your exercise since you've already built it into your estimated calorie goal. That will give you the same calorie goal every day regardless of whether you work out or not, since you're averaging those workouts over a week.

Which method you prefer is up to you. If you're not sure how disciplined you'll be about your workouts and want the accountability of having to log them, then use MFP. If you prefer a steady calorie goal and are fairly disciplined about your workouts, you can try using TDEE. It's up to you.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    It's simple. If you use the TDEE method, you include exercise up front. If you use MFP you eat back exercise calories. In the end, it works out to be about the same calories over the week. Personally, i like the TDEE method. So I would just eat 1600 calories daily for 4 to 6 week and see how results are. I like this method because you eat the same goal daily which makes it easier to plan and calculate your true TDEE after 4 to 6 weeks.

It's really not that confusing once you start to do it. :)

I'm in the "log my exercise when I do it" camp because I'm not consistent with my workouts unless I'm training for a race. Even then I run an increasing number of miles each week and a different number of miles each day so it's not a consistent calorie burn. I have MFP set to sedentary because I have a desk job. I log my calories from running and give myself a few extra on the days I lift weights, which doesn't really burn much but is so great for other reasons.
  • eapple87
    Options
    I think I'd like to log everything to help keep me motivated and on track. That does make much more sense but just wondering if you set it at 3 exercises per week and then exercise 5 times that week wouldn't the calories be too low? I want that flexibility for when I'm having a great week which is why now that I understand the two better (thank you for breaking it down) I think I'm going to use mfp and track everything.

@SueInAz‌ I'm going to track my diet for a while and see if I can make the protein just by what I eat. Otherwise I'll look into something to give me that boost! And I definitely think I'll get that heart rate monitor for accuracy and adjust the calories to what it reads.

Thanks so much guys! Feeling much more informed.