The circle of weight loss failure

Options
I can't seem to figure out how I can exercise and lose weight when I have bad feet and really bad knees and can't walk without pain and definitely can't be on my knees or squat. Any suggestions on how I can exercise my lower half of my body without being in pain?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Eating less calories than you burn every day will cause you to lose weight. Exercise will cause you to be more fit. Focus on the calorie counting and you will lose weight.

Now if you want to do some exercises, I'd suggest things that are low impact or don't use your lower body. Think pushups, situps, planks, etc. Do a Google or Youtube search for body weight exercises and you're bound to find some you can do without pain.
  • joannevee2015
    Options
    Water...swim if you can or walk in water. What you eat is how you loss lb. Moving will make you feel stronger and better.
  • bostrander5
    bostrander5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I want to feel stronger and better because I always feel tired. As for water exercises, we have nothing available where I live. I just feel that if I do a lot of sitting type exercises, my fat will stay in my legs and butt regardless if I lose weight from calorie intake.

The circle is from my feet and knees pain is contributed from my weight and my weight is contributed from not being able to exercise and can't exercise because of my pain. I used to walk 3 miles a day before I got pregnant and now she is 3 and really miss that aspect of exercising.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I want to feel stronger and better because I always feel tired. As for water exercises, we have nothing available where I live. I just feel that if I do a lot of sitting type exercises, my fat will stay in my legs and butt regardless if I lose weight from calorie intake.

Totally not true. Forget what you think you know about burning fat; most of the information being bandied about by the weight loss industry is half-truths and outright lies.

You don't burn fat by doing exercises, you burn fat by eating less calories. You can't "lose belly fat" by eating a special diet, taking a pill or doing a specific exercise. You simply can't choose which area of your body to lose fat from, that's determined by your overall body fat percentage and genetics. Exercising will maintain muscle to a small extent but not burn fat from the area being targeted.

If you really want to do something great for your body, lift weights and lift heavy weights. You'll maintain more lean body mass as you lose weight which means that more of your weight loss will be from a reduction of body fat.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    The advice above is correct. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. If you eat fewer calories you will shed fat all over.

Also, this isn't the right place for this question. Post in the General Diet and Weight Loss forum above.