Noob saying Helloo!

Options
Hey everyone,

I haven't had a chance to even read the forum yet, just wanted to drop in and say hello and introduce myself. (you can never have enough supporters) Anyways, I'm a 23 year old who is turning 24 in 2 months. I have been telling myself I am going to exercise and lose weight since I left college, which did a number on my pant size. I am 6'3" and went to college weighing 195. I started my Journey with Myfitnesspal weighing 280. It has been almost 4 weeks and I have lost 7 lbs!...most of it coming in the last 2 weeks though. I started off rough. I wasn't eating healthy, but I was still tracking calories...some days I would eat close to 4000 calories. That really made me start to loathe myself.

Here has been the trick for me thus far. I love eating, I do, so I eat 5-6 times a day. Around 300-400 calorie meals. Every time I look at the clock, it is time to eat again, and honestly everyday I feel like I've eaten too much, but its just my mind tricking me.

Another thing that I used to do was eat out....constantly. I tallied a months worth of fast food/dining at 360 dollars!! That really opened my eyes. This fueled my efforts to go grocery shopping...I bought close to 2 weeks worth of food for 80 dollars, which means I can go again in 2 weeks, spend another 80...and I'll have saved 200 dollars. Crazy.

I have begun to make exercising a habit, as well as tracking food, and all the credit goes to my iPhone and having the apps right there in my hand everyday. Now that I am a month in, it is so easy to track food, literally takes seconds with the multi-add feature.

My goal is to reach 220 by Thanksgiving, and I see no reason why it isn't achievable. The weight is coming off fast in the beginning, but I haven't even scratched the surface of my workouts, my body is responding slowly to them and the excess weight is taking a toll on my knees, but I feel 100% better just from not eating crappy food and following my diet.

Sorry for the rambling, I hope everyone is doing well and feeling encouraged by their success

-Jeff

Replies

• ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    newbies are always good, ive only been here a couple of weeks myself.

Its good to see you are so determined and positive about it :)

having a set goal is a definite motivation.

good luck!!!
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Good luck !!!!
    Stick with it...it's worth it :-)
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    Hi welcome, sounds like you are definitely in the right mind set, and I know what you mean about the 4k cals, I think there were days i broke that easily just with some big macs, cheese burgers, and fries for supper along with the 2-3L of coke a day hehe.
  • brayaddie
    brayaddie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP & Congrats at making the right step toward a healthier you!! Feel free to add me I would love to follow your journey & offer support!!!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    Great to see you are getting educated. I went through the same discoveries. Making your own food is healthier, cheaper and it just tastes better. Also the eating-many-times habit is great. I could never understand why but do now. Among other things, it gives your stomach a chance to shrink down since it doesn't need to accomodate 2 double bacon cheeseburgers and fries all at once. With many feedings, once you start feeling a bit hungry, an orange or yogourt can fill you up enough to get rid of your hunger. I track sodium levels in my diet (you can customize what you track) and it's amazing how much salt is in restaurant food and processed food. They even add tons of salt to hamburgers. Another surprise was how much salt was in bread. Yikes!
    Exercising is the other key. Having toned muscles not only makes you look good but also provides many health benefits. I read that among other things your muscles can actually help regulate your sugar levels. I think they can also help with cholesterol. Pretty cool how so many things improve with just healthy eating and exercise.
    Best of luck to you and your journey.:glasses:
  • beccasaurus83
    Options
    Welcome, and awesome post if I may say so!
  • woofus
    woofus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I'm new here too and agree with you about saving $ preparing your own food and it's sooooo much better for you.
  • jfleur87
    jfleur87 Posts: 8
    Options
    Welcome, and awesome post if I may say so!

Thanks :-) Glad to see this board is active, I can already tell I am going to enjoy posting here