According to the scale I have lost 20lbs from the day I started this but.....

Options
I've cut my calories and been exercising 3-4 times a week. According to the scale I have lost 20lbs from the day I started this but I literally see no change. I am 5'9 and 198lbs and started this at 218lbs. Yes i could have lost inches but i didn't. I've measured and the measurements are still the same. Clothing fits the same. This can't all be water weight can it? How much weight did you lose when you finally saw a difference? I will appreciate all kinds of opinions and feedback and advice.

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    My weight is fluctuated over the years. Looking in the mirror, I have never seen a difference. I just always look the same to me. I need to look at pictures to actually be able to notice it.

Take some progress pictures and compare them to some older photos - I bet you'll notice a difference!
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I was really on the wagon last year I lost 26 pounds and was still in the same clothes and measuring the same, not to mention looking basically the same in the mirror and photos. That frustrated the living *kitten* out of me and I pretty much gave up. Fast forward to now, I've lost almost 16 pounds and the exact same thing is happening. I guess heavier people have more water weight at the start?

I'll be watching this thread intently for feedback and suggestions.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    These are the times that people get really challenged mentally. I go back and forth - weight is dropping and size is not, then size is dropping and weight is not. Both can be either motivating or discouraging, or both. The thing that really matters is that you are *doing the work*. Be proud of that, keep it up and the results you want will come with time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The more you have to lose, the less noticeable changes will be. I started out at 220 and really, the only difference i saw in my first 20 Lbs lost was in my extremities...I was losing fat round my fingers, hands, arms, legs, feet, neck, etc...these things aren't noticeable to most people.

I didn't drop a pants size until I was 190 Lbs...30 Lbs down from my starting I went from a 36 waist to a 34 waist. The biggest change from 200 - 190 was in my face...at least it was something noticeable.

190 - 180 was like night and day as I continued to lose in my face but finally started to really work on my gut.

Just be patient...this all takes time...lots of time.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any change until I'd lost about 25-30lbs. I'm 5'7 and started at 211lbs. Stick with it! You'll see a difference eventually and each day you stick to it you're one day closer to seeing it.
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It is sometimes so hard to see the difference and even when the scales show a difference and the measurement drop, you can't see or feel it personally. I've lost 14lbs since New Year and lots of inches (inc. 5" on my tummy) but I really didn't notice the difference. My husband and friends did though! My hubby took photos of me (in undies) on 1st Jan then on 1st Feb (am going to do that every 1st of month) and when I put the photos side by side there definitely is a difference. The thing is, I'm 5'5" so 14lbs is quite a difference on my frame. At 5'9" you might not notice the loss as quickly but keep going and soon you will see/feel the difference. Good Luck!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    How long did it take for you to lose those 20 lbs? I would say it depends on the time frame of that. If it was quickly, then some of it could have been water weight. Either way, you know that the weight is dropping so you are making progress in one way at LEAST. Keep it up, wait for another 20lbs to drop and then retake pics/measurements and see the difference.
  • buff_daddy
    buff_daddy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, sometimes we don't notice the change right away. Just know 20lbs is amazing and you've come a long way.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    I've cut my calories and been exercising 3-4 times a week. According to the scale I have lost 20lbs from the day I started this but I literally see no change. I am 5'9 and 198lbs and started this at 218lbs. Yes i could have lost inches but i didn't. I've measured and the measurements are still the same. Clothing fits the same. This can't all be water weight can it? How much weight did you lose when you finally saw a difference? I will appreciate all kinds of opinions and feedback and advice.

I am 5'9" at my highest i was 196. I didnt notice a difference until I got to 170s and my face still looks full but my clothes went from 14 to comfortable 12. The biggest notice is when i get to the 150s.

• nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" as well. I think both the blessing and curse of being tall is that there's a lot of area to spread the weight over. I started at 210 pounds, and I lost 40 lbs before I had to buy new clothes or anyone noticed the weight loss.
  • ellithurman2
    Options
    When exercising, please everyone remember that when you lose fat and water, it is replaced with muscle which weighs more than fat.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When exercising, please everyone remember that when you lose fat and water, it is replaced with muscle which weighs more than fat.

No.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    OP - sometimes the weight is coming off in areas that we dont normally measure with the measuring tape. And the 20lbs can coming off in lots of spots, so it's spread out and not so noticable at first - but the more you lose, the more you will notice it. Try not to be discouraged.

For me, I had to lose about 25 lbs before it was noticable, but I'm only 5'2", so there was less surface area for that weight to be distributed.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Since you are exercising regularly, could you be adding muscle?

One thing I've read is that women tend to be clothing size conscience and will continue to wear smaller sizes even when we shouldn't because of what those stupid labels in our clothing say. I know this is true for me at least, so when I do start losing weight and wondering why my clothes aren't baggy, it's because I'm finally at a weight where they fit comfortably. Not saying this is true for you, but could be one reason. One of my new mottoes is 'strong is the new skinny' (it's not a new concept but at my age, I'd rather be strong and healthy than very thin and maybe not so fit).
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the opinions. I will start worrying again when i am at my goal of 5'9 and 150lbs and still the same size haha
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    How much weight did you lose when you finally saw a difference?

Major changes - 100lbs. Slight changes- 65 ish lbs.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do you take progress pictures? Sometimes it is hard to see changes in the mirror, but easier to see them in photos. This might be worth a try, especially if you are losing in areas other than the standard measurements.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    yes i've taken a round of photos just a few days ago
  • buff_daddy
    buff_daddy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Remember we are our own worst critics...be patient
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25lbs since the start of the year and I don't see any differences either. I'm sure I'll get there but I understand how bloody frustrating it can be!