Struggling

Options
Hey everyone,

I have been off and on fitness pal and weight watchers. I feel motivated at first then I lose that. I have very little in the way of self control, which I am working on, and have trouble staying focused and not getting distracted by youtube and the like. I have not really been working much lately and i think that is making me depressed. I dont really know what to do. I want to try and make a fitness program that I can do at home but with knee problems I have a hard time finding videos on youtube I can do. Me and my huspand started yoga but it has also been off and on. Please if anyone has any advice on motivation and/or videos to help me make a fitness program. I do have access to some workout equipment through the apartments we are living in. I want to try and build muscle, as I feel weak a lot. Also, I am very bad at knowing the balance in eating. I have a major sweet tooth with the, I have a hard time eating just one. I am so down hearted right now. Please if anyone has advice or can point me to articles, videos, esc... I would really appreciate it. I use to be so active, was in tennis, track and I just can stand to not be able to do those things. I need to lose just over 100lbs.

Replies

• fit_mama_sarah
    fit_mama_sarah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I am going to pm you!!!
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Baby steps! take your time - and take walks. You don't have to go miles and miles but just get out and walk a little today. Please don't fall into the 1200 calorie pit, it's not enough food. I'm not going to give you a laundry list... just that one first step of taking a walk.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't be discouraged or feel defeated. You do not need to change everything at once or lose 100 pounds tomorrow. Do not concentrate on what you can not do, but on what you can do now.

Start by shutting off your computer and taking a five minute walk. You don't even have to leave your apartment. It may seem silly at first, but just get up and walk in circles from room to room around your apartment for five minutes.

It may not seem like much, but it is five minutes of activity vs. five minutes of YouTube.

If you can, later today, go to Walmart or Target or another store, or go online and buy yourself an inexpensive pedometer. It does not need to be fancy. It just needs to be something that counts steps. Then set it up and put it on and start keeping track of how many steps you are taking each day. Then set a goal to walk an extra 100 steps the next day, or an extra five minutes, or another goal of your choosing.

With regard to eating, try to make sure that you are eating some protein with each of your meals, especially at your first meal of the day. Aim for getting about 25 to 30 grams of protein at each meal. It will make you feel fuller longer and you will be less likely to succumb to snack cravings.

Just keep making small changes, a little at a time and those incremental changes will add up over time.

If you continue to feel dejected or depressed, then you may need to seek help with that by talking with someone, but for now, see if making small changes makes you feel better.

Good luck. You can do this.

(Edited to add "at each meal" above.)
  • Kimstjohn
    Kimstjohn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First of all know that you are not alone in that boat sister! The boat being on and off again with my fitness pal and exercise. I as well have a sweet tooth but i have made up my mind that eating sweets especially out of the plan of nutrition i have set up for the day is not worth the outcome. The things I want are too important for me to give up on. Just knowing that helps me stick with it. I am on day ten and already i have tried to trick my self in to a multitude of things! Don't give in! Try and set a goal for yourself! Get excited about something. Having something to look forward to helps with depression, self esteem and motivation. WE are saving up and going on an Alaskan cruise in a year! I want to be happy healthy and looking good on that cruise so i have plenty of time to work up to it and something that motivates me to keep me on track. I hurt my hip prior to starting MFP, funny doing hard core work out DVD's lol. So for now i focus mostly on cardio, taking walks with my puppy and hiking. doing things i like to do that are healthy and have to do with the outdoors to stay active. For upper body strength i focus on weights doing simple yet effective arm strengthening exercising. Jillian michaels has some upper body exercises also it is not hard to make up a routine for yourself in your own home. Have fun with it! Hope this short paragraph gives you motivation and some ideas! Keep on the right track!
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I really needs to be a mindset... if you can start and get motivated by seeing progress that will help so much! What are your goals? You should have mini goals as well as long term!
  • alasha07
    alasha07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much. I started crying lol, you are all so supportive. When my hubby gets home we are going to go for a walk do to the store. I am having a cookie craving and have been for hours, if I walk to the store, which is about a mile or a little more away, it will atleast help a little. With any luck when I get there, I will have an apple craving instead lol. I will keep working on it. I have no idea what I have eated for the first half of the day but I am going to try and record the second half of the day. I want to play tennis again and the apartments we are in have some. So by summer I want to be in shape enough to play. It has been my goal for a couple of years now, it is one of the reasons we chose this apartment complex. Wish me luck, I can do this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! Start logging no matter what, even if you have a bad day. Just keep on logging. We've all had bad days. Baby steps.
  • mbarfield092014
    mbarfield092014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way after my return from the army, a kid, school, work and still making time for my family. I have a hard time sacraficing family time to workout. It makes me feel kind of selfish not spending time with them. I'll gotta lose it this time for my husbands sake. He's so active and I just wanna join him!
  • alasha07
    alasha07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mbarfield092014. Sometimes you need to take that time out for you. It is not selfish, you need to be healthy so you can be there for your family for a long time. It is very important, just remember that.