Tips for core workout that doesnt involve weights? 18 weeks post kidney donation

Options
Hi! 18 weeks ago I donated a kidney and am looking to regain my core strength. Ab Machines with weights attached are still uncomfortable but I need to start doing something. Any recommendations. Crunches aren't cutting it. I feel pretty squishy in the mid section. Tia

Replies

• POHarry
    POHarry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Planks, leg lifts would be a couple that may be less likely to hurt you at this point. Go slow and add things as you go.
  • heatherrose
    Options
    To clarify I can lift weights. Like for arms, legs etc. I am basically 100% back at the gym but find some of the ab machines are tough to do. I can do planks, squats etc.... At this time (healing stage) I would prefer to use my own body weight in the exercise.... I have tried the normal sit up, crunch and so on but am not seeing any results. Thanks!
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What a gift you gave someone and glad you are recovering well. A calorie deficit will be the way to lose extra fat, you can't spot reduce. For the core, planks, leg lifts, russian twists are a few of my go to.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear you're healing well! In addition to what others have mentioned I find an ab wheel to be very effective in training abs. I can't maintain a neutral lumbar if I go all the way down, so I just go to where my hands are slightly in front of my head like so: ab-wheel-rollout.jpg
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being an organ donor, my mom is alive because of organ donors.
    As long as you are medically cleared I would ease my way into some static holds. Many of these exercises have easier regressions, that's where you will want to start. L-sits, support hold, hardstyle planks, side planks, bridges, hanging knee/leg raises.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Pallof presses
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    To clarify I can lift weights. Like for arms, legs etc. I am basically 100% back at the gym but find some of the ab machines are tough to do. I can do planks, squats etc.... At this time (healing stage) I would prefer to use my own body weight in the exercise.... I have tried the normal sit up, crunch and so on but am not seeing any results. Thanks!

Please clarify what you mean when you say you aren't seeing results
  • GilBrennan
    Options
    ab roller, pull ups, toe raises to the bar, turkish get ups with a plush doll instead of a weight, ghds, and probably ten or fifteen more.