Workouts for the Obese

Options
I'm obese. There's really no way around it. I'm also seriously out of shape; it hurts to run, and I can't even do one push-up. I don't care if I ever get a six-pack or can dead lift a million pounds or find out what cross-fit means. I just want to reach a point where I can take the stairs without feeling like I'm dying. I'm totally okay with average.

That being said, working out is a bit of a daunting challenge for me. I have a big belly and weak arms. I'm a little flexible in my hips, but my hamstrings are another story altogether. I have DDD (that's TRIPLE D) boobs. I've searched countless apps and workout suggestions online, but everything feels completely beyond my skill level. That, and I don't even really know what to look for. I know how to walk. I've started doing that. But I want to get a little bit stronger, and maybe try yoga. But I'm also nervous and get overwhelmed easily when I can't do things.

Does anybody have any suggestions for gentle, simple workouts that will help me get started?

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessblender.com You can choose from various different workouts, level 1 and 2 will be the easiest. Don't get discouraged, if you can't do something modify it, try it again until you can do it. Start lifting weights, start small, work your way up. Also..buy a good sports bra, expensive yes, but worth the money!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would start by walking. 5 minutes 10 minutes.
    A couple of minutes here and there during your day.
    You may be too heavy to do floor exercises.
    Persist. Do something. You'll get there.
    Maybe some exercise bands. Add minutes weekly.
    Exercise doesn't have to hurt.
    But your body should feel like it has done something.
    Spend some time learning about exercise. Food. Nutrition.
    There are many books, videos, other sources of information.
    Just sift what you hear and read. So much of it is Mis-information.
    Good Luck.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can add me as a friend if you want. I'm 5'5" and 240lbs, and I also have a DDD chest, so I feel your pain! I'm right there with you when it comes to running and push-ups. Right now for exercise what I'm doing is walking 2x a week and a program called Stronglifts 5x5 2x a week. What I like about the SL 5x5 program is that there are only 5 basic moves to master, and it works out your whole body without worrying about push-ups and stuff. I'm starting super light, using a 12lbs bar instead of a 45lbs one, and going up 2.5lbs a week instead of 5lbs a session, but even still it works your body.

Right now I'm walking 3 miles at a time, but that's because I'm training for a 5k in June, and it took me almost a year to be able to walk 3 miles continuously. If you're not used to walking, I would suggest you start with 10 minute walks maybe 3x a week, and every week add 5 minutes until you're up to roughly 30 minutes at a time. At that point I'd recommend programs like Couch-to-5k, and if you can't run the intervals, don't worry about it! Start the program by walking and fast-walking during the "running" intervals.

I haven't lost a ton of weight doing this (only about 11lbs) but I have gotten leaner, and I have a lot more energy now. Just make sure you're tracking all your calories, and eat at a slight deficit. Good luck!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    Before you say no, I started off by swimming. I know it's horrible getting into a swimsuit in front of other people I do really understand. I had to start off swimming with my mum for support and she made me go. Find out what time serious swimmers go, not when the general public are just floating around. Serious swimmers will only think good things for you going swimming. In their eyes you are doing something about your weight rather than doing nothing. I think this will apply to any activity you do.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You already mentioned 2 great workouts. Walking and yoga. Walk as much as you can and tomorrow walk a little more. Repeat. Once you can walk 45 minutes straight at a good pace consider doing a program to run like Couch to 5k (c25k). It will probably still hurt but over time it stops hurting. When I started C25k I had to ice my feet every time and I repeated weeks because that was what was right for me. Some people ice their knees or shins. One day I didn't have to ice my feet any more. A little bit of discomfort/pain is to be expected when obese. Any extreme or sharp pains stop right away!

Yoga is great and has lots of modifications. Some people need modifications due to weight or injury or not being flexible enough. I personally don't like videos because I find them distracting so I go to classes. See if you can find a beginner or gentle class. My gym and community center always have these classes. If you can't find one in your area don't worry, take a regular class and rest in child's pose whenever something is too much. Yoga is pretty judgment free.

Other things to try are swimming or aqua classes so they are nice and low impact but still good workouts. Elliptical machines etc.

I'm still obese (I'm taking it slow) but my fitness is 2000% better than when I started. Make sure you are eating at a calorie deficit and slowly add in exercise. You can do it.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would definitely incorporate some LIGHT band/dumbell work, lots of walking starting slowly and working your way up over several weeks/months....and stand-ups out of an armless secure chair to work on balance and lower body strength 2-3 times per week.

Worry less about intensity and more about consistency at this point. If all you can do is a 10 min walk, that's fine....just keep doing it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Find activities you like to do, build up from there. I love bike riding, lifting and even enjoy running which I never thought was possible but that came from building up slowly, not jumping from no exercise to bike 50 miles. Experiment with different ones.

Walking, biking, swimming or another activity you enjoy
    Convict conditioning good body weight program you can look into
    Fitnessblender.com has a good selection of free workouts you can check out
    Starting strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the obese range, too. Don't get discouraged! Walk, lift weights (start light and work on form first). Bodybuilder.com and simpleshred are great places to start.

YES, YES and YES to a good sports bra! Get one rated for high intensity, for whatever you're doing.

Definitely try yoga for the improved flexibility! You can, and often in the videos they show how, to modify the postures. I also enjoy doing zumba; it's not as hard as I thought it would be and it's quite fun.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm obese and I run 5 miles three times a week. I recently added running 9miles one or two times a week and the rest 5miles to run 5 days a week. I'm 5'6" 229lbs
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The best thing I learned about doing workouts is that it's absolutely one hundred percent fine and dandy to customize them to your level. I have injuries and have been at every stage from fit to completely sedentary and have used many of the same workouts at all different levels. So anything you see that you think looks fun, or close to doable, give it a shot. But when they are doing push-ups on the floor, you can do them against the wall. When they are jumping side to side, you can step side to side. It takes time and you will have to fight through some frustration and confusion but you CAN figure it out. If you feel overwhelmed, just take a break and come back to it the next day.

I still can't do jumping jacks, they make my feet cramp up immediately. So when they're doing jumping jacks on the DVD, I run around the kitchen island (my apt is so tiny that it is both the kitchen and living room island lol). As long as you're moving, you're exercising.

And just try. Trying is what makes you stronger & it's the only thing that does.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's 5 Mega Mile Walk DVD is a good one to start with. It's basically marching in place with some other stuff added in to make it a bit more of a workout, and also incorporates light resistance training with a band while you're marching/walking, so that could get you started on your way to getting stronger through resistance training. It's easy, low impact, not too fast paced, and your boobs won't bother you (I also have DDDs).
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Everything is going to feel "completely beyond your skill level" as you put it, until you do it for awhile. Don't let the newness of something stop you.
  • catatonicTheorist
    catatonicTheorist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for all the suggestions everyone! And the encouragement. It means a lot.

@Louis_1989, believe it or not I actually LOVE swimming and I wish I had access to a pool! Once summer rolls around, I'm hitting the beach as often as I can. But for now, there's about a foot of snow outside and I'd rather not be out there at all if I can help it!!

@acmanna, I've never heard of Fitness Blender, but after poking around for a bit I'm so in love! I've already found some stuff to try.

@Autumnfilly2005‌, the only equipment I have is a yoga mat (which I'm planning to dust off) and a treadmill (which is technically my parents and not in the best shape but it at least works), but I'm definitely going to start walking again. I walk a bunch on campus (I'm a college student), but I don't think it'll kill me to hit the treadmill once in a while.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    DDD here also. And I used to be a size 26. So I understand not being able to do a push up and having a hard time walking up stairs etc. But the best advice I've ever received was to just start moving. EVERY DAY. That doesn't mean hours and hours. It means get up and go for a walk. If you have time and energy for only 10 minutes, then that's what you do. Each week try to increase the number of minutes. Keep track of the activity and eventually you will become stronger and your endurance will improve.

Not many non-runners walk out of their house and are able to run a mile. You need to build up. A few years ago I was running 5ks, 10ks, and even a few half marathons. I let myself slack on running and now, it's hard again - but not as hard as when I first started.

I signed up for a yoga class when I was a size 24. And... I didn't know it was an advance class. I had never even done a downward dog. I had the absolute best teacher in the world..when I said "I can't do that - I'm huge" she said, just try. And even though I'm not very flexible - it was awesome. Yoga is all about the instructor - so if you go to a class and are not getting the support you need, find another class to try. Go early and introduce yourself to the instructor. Watch a few videos on you tube to see the moves.

Same goes for strength - watch videos and start with a few basic moves. And read up on proper form.

Ditto on the good bra.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started out at 275, morbidly obese. I love exercise now, even though I have no interest in doing push-ups. I'll give a few tips. Pick one and try it for a few weeks.

Core exercises are necessary for everything else. Tony Gentilcore looks good.

14 Exercises you can do laying down.

Walking. Start at ten minutes. Increase by 1% every week. When you are at twenty minutes, increase your speed. Slowly. Invest in the best shoes and inserts you can afford.

Body Exchange Home Collection.

Someone mentioned swimming. Aquasize. It will take the weight off your joints.

If you don't like an activity, pick another. Make sure you are having fun. Most people give up if something is too hard. So pick something with just enough of a challenge to keep you engaged.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Walk. That's where I'd start. Get comfortable with yourself and your body. Then move onto something like yoga. It's all about getting to know your body and your limits.

I'm a DDD, too. I just double up on cheap sports bras - but you don't need one if you're walking.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    About exercise hurting. I learned to distinguish between joint pain (bad) and muscle pain (within limits, good). That burning muscle pain when you are doing just enough to push your limits, is what makes you stronger in a few days. If I get joint pain, I stop what I was doing.
  • klkeeling21
    Options
    I second Fitness Blender; they have tons of free fitness building of various fitness levels. You can take the guesswork out of it by doing one of their Beginner/Low Impact programs (which you have to purchase, but they are cheap); I found those were a great way to build up my strength and stamina. I've been doing them for a couple of months and have seen a lot of improvement. If you don't want to jump into a program, perhaps try this workout of theirs: http://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/low-impact-workout-for-beginners-40-minute-total-body-beginner-workout. It goes very slow and gives you a feel for how their videos work.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When I was Obese, walking did wonders. I started out small and worked my way up (in distance). Swimming or taking an aquatic class was also great.