Dessert cravings?

Options
Every night after dinner I crave peanut butter mixed with chocolate chip or white chocolate chip morsels. I mix it together & it has a look/consistency of cookie dough. I'll either eat it with a spoon or pretzels. If I don't have enough calories I won't do this-I just want to know how I can stop myself from craving the taste & the texture because it's not necessarily a "healthy" snack. I just crave desserts in general. Like warm cookies or brownies right out of the oven. I have the worst sweet tooth in the world. Anyone have tips on how to deal with it in a way that doesn't make me go crazy & end up on a binge? Healthy alternatives?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories and you hit your protein/fat goals, why stop? I have dessert every night (either ice cream/gelato, graham crackers with flavored cream cheese, or a couple pieces of chocolate).
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are craving something, it could mean that your body is telling you your missing a vitamin. You could have a banana/apple with peanut butter and add a couple pieces of chocolate.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Why would you stop eating desserts? Sorry I can't help you.
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have to say that I'm not sure what the problem is, you have something you like to eat as a dessert, you have the calories and so you eat it. Ignoring your cravings is worse than giving in and eating them in a controlled way.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If it fits, there's no harm in eating it so I say go for it. If you want lower calorie alternatives to desserts in general, buy Skinny Cow Ice Cream. If you want to stop eating desserts all together, I guess just stop eating it? Sorry I can't be of more help on that last one. I find denying food you want just leads to craving it more and eventually binges.
  • anjeden
    anjeden Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth; an almost uncontrollable one. Dessert is ok once in a while yes. . .but I have a problem with only wanting to cookies, muffins, cakes, etc over real food. So I understand the desire to eradicate the temptation.

I've found that adequate sleep and ample hydration are great players in the sweet tooth game.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    If it fits eat it.

But since you asked for suggestions.

I usually crave sweetness after dinner as well, and then I eat a teaspoon of sugar straight up. After that, I keep myself busy with other things that keep my mind away from food. Something that makes you focus. (Mine is drawing the television does not count.)

I also have a cheat day once a week where I eat whatever I craved in one day (but still within my alloted calories). So if I have a craving, I tell myself "wait until Saturday." Because I can't eat just one square of chocolate everyday, I have to have the whole thing right now!! You might have more luck with daily moderation.

This is what usually helps me.
  • Juliemcna
    Juliemcna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are craving something, it could mean that your body is telling you your missing a vitamin. You could have a banana/apple with peanut butter and add a couple pieces of chocolate.

Nonsense. No-one ever craved brocolli!
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Juliemcna wrote: »

I know someone who is eating a raw vegan and she said she craves vegetables and fruits. If I don't eat them in a couple days, I crave them.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just discovered PB2, and I'm using it as an alternative for peanut butter. It's only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. Maybe try something like that instead?

Other than that, I think if you can fit it in your daily allowance, then don't worry about it :)
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I know someone who is eating a raw vegan and she said she craves vegetables and fruits. If I don't eat them in a couple days, I crave them.

I am the same way. Each day I start to crave my salad for lunch at around 9 a.m. Right now, however, I am craving DQ's red velvet blizzard that is out for February.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »

I am the same way. Each day I start to crave my salad for lunch at around 9 a.m. Right now, however, I am craving DQ's red velvet blizzard that is out for February.

OMG I had not heard about the DQ Red Velvet Blizzard... thank goodness I popped in this thread!

• alwilkey
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »

well...thanks a lot! Now I'm gonna start craving that as well.

But on a more serious note, I think if you have eaten your veges, your protein, your fruits etc etc for the day and are still under. It's okay to eat your sweets. (just brush your teeth right away!!) However, if you are not eating all the right foods in your day, then don't treat yourself. Why reward bad behavior? Personally, I love freezing chocolate smoothies from Smoothie King and having that as ice cream at night...or drinking a chocolate protein shake. It sometimes takes some getting used to but it does the trick!
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love peanut butter!! Instead of the chips I chose a half apple (cut in half with the core cut out and stuff with a tablespoon peanut butter) and the natural sweet of the two works great for me. If I eat that, I no longer have a sweet tooth.