No Pain, No Gain?

Options
I have recently (I mean like 3 days ago recent) added 5lbs weights while running, and also added push-ups, side crunches and a couple other things to my daily routine. At first adding these made my muscles sore right after the workout and the morning the next day, no big deal, but yesterday my muscles weren't as sore after and they weren't sore this morning. Do I need to add more reps? I always hear "NO PAIN, NO GAIN"

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    After a while you shouldnt feel sore. Actually, if you still feel sore after a week of doing a new routine, you are probably doing something wrong. When they say no pain, no gain, they actually mean that you must feel it in the last couple moves of your rep, not the following day.
  • sushilicious
    Options
    It's called "Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)". Just muscle soreness, it diminishes after repeated exercising. A quick google search should land you on a nice Wiki page with more info. <3
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would wait alittle bit before taking on more. Sometimes you dont know if your causing your body stress until later.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There is s difference between hurt pain and sore muscles. Sore muscles are a good thing. Last year I spent 3 days a week with a hellish trainer and I was sore darn near the entire time, but with FABULOUS results. No pain, no gain is right if you want to continue to build muscle. If you're just wanting to burn calories that might be another story.
  • malx21989
    malx21989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's called "Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)". Just muscle soreness, it diminishes after repeated exercising. A quick google search should land you on a nice Wiki page with more info. <3
    Thanks!! I will do that
  • malx21989
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    ReneeOfTheFae Posts: 117
    Options
    If you can do a set of 10 to 12 reps without feeling it by the last 3 or 4, you should add more weight. If it's still a little tough to get through to the end of the set(s), you have enough weight for now.
    Great job, by the way!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why would you run with weights instead of just running faster and/or further?
  • malx21989
    Options
    To help my arms .... a lot of women run with weights, and everyday I try to run at least a quarter mile more than the day before
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    To help my arms .... a lot of women run with weights, and everyday I try to run at least a quarter mile more than the day before

Ah, gotcha. Glad it is working for you!