Medication and weight gain...moral support

Options
i have started to eat healthy and exercise and have been doing so for about a month and a half. I have been on an anti-anxiety medication for about four months and have gained at least 10 pounds. Does anyone know anything about this? It's been very hard to keep motivated while I am exercising trying to eat healthy and still gaining some weight from the medication

Replies

• cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a question for your doctor or maybe research it on the drugs website. It may give some good insight. Best of luck! :)
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I can't give any reason for it but I can offer sympathy- my weight went up ten pounds in two weeks when the antidepressant meds I'm on got bumped up. The trade off is I'm now feeling much better which makes the work taking it back off tolerable.
  • amble1066
    amble1066 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on paroxatine for anxiety and depression, one of the side effects is weight gain, typical hey! X
  • roystonmcgee
    roystonmcgee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm on 2 meds that list weight gain as side-effects so I've sort of been hiding behind that whilst getting fatter. I'm now determined to get fit despite the meds and I will do it!
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I was on Celexa for 1.5 years and gained 30 pounds. Which is why I am here now =)

The weight gain sucked, for sure, but was better than throwing myself off a bridge. Mental health first, you can always lose the weight later. Though sometimes weight gain can affect your mental state too, so if it gets you down just remind yourself it won't last forever and do your best to eat well and exercise. You will get through it.
  • katecm17
    katecm17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @looking4better‌ thank you for the support it helps
  • lschifko314
    lschifko314 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. But at least i can go to the store or out with my friends without having a panic attack. I havent tried losing on my meds yet about to give it a go.