exercises with issues....

Options
I'm not a big exerciser....and I'll be the first to admit it. On thursday I convinced my daughter to take a zumba class at the y with me. She is hooked. I, however, have been battling hernated disks in my neck that is pinching the nerve to my left arm (I'm left handed) I managed to get thrugh about 35 minutes of the class before the pain forced me to stop. With this nerve, I've realized you use your shoulders and arms for most everything. Does anyone know an exercise that I can do that would not be so bad on my shoulder/arm?
I'm going to continue the zumba class and just do what I can because it is a lot of fun. I'm also going to check out yoga, Tai Chi and chi gung....the streching seems to help.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any kind of aqua aerobics? They tend to be gentle. For me, just the pounding of any land based aerobics that isn't no impact can trigger back/neck issues.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for exercising with injuries. I recommend seeing if you can find a good healing/therapudic Yoga instructor (one who knows how to deal with people with injuries), because it is possible to injure yourself in Yoga. Some basic bellydance can also be good, and provides a great core workout.

One thing I've found, too, is to make sure the muscles around the bad disk(s) are strong and remain so. I have a herniated lumbar disk and as long as I work to keep my back strong, I don't have much pain, but once that starts to atrophy, the pain comes back.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As someone who's had serious back problems in the past, I would strongly recommend that you make an appointment with a physical therapist or a chiropractor that you trust and ask them for some advice on what you should and shouldn't do. When you have an injury, sometimes the best thing to do is counter-intuitive. You don't want to do further damage, and professional advice would be worth the cost of the appointment. When it comes to your back and neck, don't take any chances!
  • soshotout
    soshotout Posts: 115
    Options
    I agree with consulting a physician before entering into any kind of workout routine for your own safety. I, also, have issues with high impact aerobic type exercises due to injuries sustained to my leg, hips, back and neck. I found that Pilates is one of the best ways to exercise without causing myself any pain.

Hoping that you find what works for you!!
  • Bridgidm2000
    Options
    My primary care doctor, chiropractor and ortho all said any form of stretching is good. I'm going to meet with a surgeon next. I'm praying he'll suggest something other than surgery. lol
    I never thought of water yoga/areobics.....I am going to check the classes at the ymca to see if they have it.
    EVERYTIME I've st arted an exercise program something seems to side track me.....I don't want it to happen again!
    Thanks everyone.