Drinks?

Options
I am trying to drink a lot of water as I know how good it is for you but I just really hate it...former diet soda addict (kicked that habit!) but really need something other than water and coffee to get me through the day. I do hot water with lemon in the morning and some green tea occasionally too. Anything you enjoy or recommend??

Replies

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    hmmmm....Vodka?

I'm kidding of course, although I do enjoy it. :wink: How about crystal light in your water or some other flavored water.
  • Evenstranger
    Evenstranger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 oz thermal mug I make hot tea in to sip on throughout the day. I use a total of 1.5 Tbsp of sugar for a whopping 68 calories. For comparison, my cup of coffee is 14 oz and with sugar and cream is about 106 calories. So I can get more than twice the volume of fluids at about 1/3 the calories.
  • JuliMoriarty
    JuliMoriarty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What about tea? If you don't like hot beverages to your meals, you can prepare "cold tea" by just making normal tea and putting it in the fridge for some hours.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Steer clear of artificial sweeteners. They mess with you insulin and don't help with weight loss. I drink a lot of unsweetened tea... you can play with different flavors and mix them yourself and you won't even miss the sweetness. Drink it iced or hot!
    Coconut water is a good low calorie option, as well as kombucka. Check out your local natural grocer and see what they have. Just watch out for the sugar!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 oz thermal mug I make hot tea in to sip on throughout the day. I use a total of 1.5 Tbsp of sugar for a whopping 68 calories. For comparison, my cup of coffee is 14 oz and with sugar and cream is about 106 calories. So I can get more than twice the volume of fluids at about 1/3 the calories.

106 calories in your coffee?! That's not coffee; that's sugar with coffee flavoring.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    106 calories in your coffee?! That's not coffee; that's sugar with coffee flavoring.

LOL, yeah. I drink my coffee black with a little bit of milk. It's roughly 17 calories per 8oz cup, or <30 calories if I were to have 14oz like that guy does.

Other beverage ideas: Milk, tea, sparkling water, flavoured water (don't like the stuff myself but some people do), or just have some calorie-free sodas on occasion if you really want.
  • roystonmcgee
    roystonmcgee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My Mrs has got me into these fruit teas. They're like hot squash and next to no calories without sugar. Can't complain.
  • Evenstranger
    Evenstranger Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

It's really not as bad as it sounds... a half a Tbsp of sugar and 1-2oz of half & half. And yeah, it adds up quickly. Hence why I'm trying to replace it with tea.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Here too the same rule applies about not depriving yourself. If you like diet soda, have a can with lunch once in a while. It won't kill you. Just don't sip on it all day. I actually like drinking water, so I admit I don't have a problem keeping my fluids up, but if you need a little help, you can try putting small slices of lemon in your water. Gives the water a little taste, and you get some of that good immune-boosting Vitamin C.