What do you think of 100% Whey by CytoSport?

Options

Replies

• iwishiwasbatman
    Options
    We measured my body fat and it came out to 19.5%, whats an lbm?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    lean body mass. I'm no expert, but I agree, you need to work on adding muscle. When you lose weight, you lose fat AND muscle, you'll just end up 'skinny fat' though at your weight, you're already there.
  • iwishiwasbatman
    Options
    Thanks to both.

So you'd recommend to gain weight, ya?
    Would that burn fat and build muscle too?
    My workout consists of weight lifting (upper body) 3 times a week plus 10 - 20 minutes of running, and abs and lower body 2 times a week, would this still be a good workout even if I gain weight or would I need to change it up?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    We measured my body fat and it came out to 19.5%, whats an lbm?

It's not 19.5%

LBM = lean body mass. Which includes muscle. You lack the muscle.

This is what I am thinking.

• psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks to both.

My workout consists of weight lifting (upper body) 3 times a week plus 10 - 20 minutes of running, and abs and lower body 2 times a week, would this still be a good workout even if I gain weight or would I need to change it up?

Drop your current routine for a well designed program. Look at full body routines that work a lot of the major muscle groups. Maybe one like the lean muscle diet could be beneficial. But generally, you want to work upper and lower body so you have balance.

In terms of diet, up your calories until you start gaining weight at .5 to 1lb per week. Protein should be around 1g. per lb of desired lean body mass.

But before you do anything, spend a week or two looking at programs and getting knowledgeable.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's whey protein...not sure there's a whole lot more to say about it. I used to use it and always thought the taste was just OK. I use Optimum Nutrition whey isolate now...simply because I like the taste better and it's reasonably priced at Costco.

I'm with others, you don't need to reduce BF...no way you are 19.5% BF...you need to get on a progressive lifting program and eat big and lift big.
  • iwishiwasbatman
    Options
    Thanks to both.

Stop worrying about burning fat. Worry about bulking a blend adding muscle. You need to training properly and eat a a surplus. You need to start doing some real strength training. Nit just upper body 3x per week. When do you train legs????

Forget the model with abs goal for the near future. You've got a long road ahead of you.

Start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1

I train legs when I train my lower body.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    lbm = lean body mass. 20% or so probably isn't far off-- maybe high by a point or 2.

Get some carbs with that stuff after your workout...and by workout I hope to God you mean "lifting heavy stuff frequently" and not "I just did 3 hours on the elliptical"
  • iwishiwasbatman
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Thanks to both.

Drop your current routine for a well designed program. Look at full body routines that work a lot of the major muscle groups. Maybe one like the lean muscle diet could be beneficial. But generally, you want to work upper and lower body so you have balance.

In terms of diet, up your calories until you start gaining weight at .5 to 1lb per week. Protein should be around 1g. per lb of desired lean body mass.

But before you do anything, spend a week or two looking at programs and getting knowledgeable.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
  • iwishiwasbatman
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's whey protein...not sure there's a whole lot more to say about it. I used to use it and always thought the taste was just OK. I use Optimum Nutrition whey isolate now...simply because I like the taste better and it's reasonably priced at Costco.

I'm with others, you don't need to reduce BF...no way you are 19.5% BF...you need to get on a progressive lifting program and eat big and lift big.

Thank you all, I'll try this advice you all gave me.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks to both.

I would seriously consider that book. Lou Schuler and Alan Aragon are fantastic resources. You can even look into any of the New Rules of Lifting series.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both.

Stop worrying about burning fat. Worry about bulking a blend adding muscle. You need to training properly and eat a a surplus. You need to start doing some real strength training. Nit just upper body 3x per week. When do you train legs????

Forget the model with abs goal for the near future. You've got a long road ahead of you.

Start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1

Did you click and read the link?
    lbm = lean body mass. 20% or so probably isn't far off-- maybe high by a point or 2.

Get some carbs with that stuff after your workout...and by workout I hope to God you mean "lifting heavy stuff frequently" and not "I just did 3 hours on the elliptical"

No, he is no where near 20% give or take 2%. Also, your advice to add carbs to it does not address his main problem.

Looks pretty soft in the pics.

Good shot of carbs with the whey post WO is just *one* of the things he needs to be doing.
  • iwishiwasbatman
    iwishiwasbatman Posts: 44
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks to both.

I would seriously consider that book. Lou Schuler and Alan Aragon are fantastic resources. You can even look into any of the New Rules of Lifting series.

I did read it.
  • iwishiwasbatman
    Options
    Thanks to both.

Start here:

No, he is no where near 20% give or take 2%. Also, your advice to add carbs to it does not address his main problem.

In getting confused now...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks to both.

Start here:

Don't worry about the number exactly. It's not overly meaningful. Just worry about increasing muscle mass since you are at the lower spectrum for weight.
  • iwishiwasbatman
    Options
    Thanks to both.

Start here:

Don't worry about the number exactly. It's not overly meaningful. Just worry about increasing muscle mass since you are at the lower spectrum for weight.

So let me see if I understand. My new goal should be:

• Gain 10 lbs in a month (20 in two).
    • Start bulking at my current weight (as I also start gaining weight).
    • Bulking will burn fat so I shouldn't worry about that(?).
    • Bulking will also gain me muscle.

Is that right?