High calorie, low fat foods (besides carbs)?

Options
ladybug1620
ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
Is there such a thing as a high calorie, low fat food that's not bread/pasta/rice/etc? I need some suggestions to help meet my daily calorie goals. I already have beans, nuts, avocados, and peanut butter often. If I add more of them, my fat goes way over. Should I not worry about it since they are "good" fats? Or do I need to suck it up and eat some bread?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lean meats? Crab sticks?
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Chobani yogurt is delicious and non-fat but 140 calories for 6 oz. I always use it as my filler to meet my goal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The reason why high calorie foods are full of fat is because 1 gram of fat has 9 caloires while 1 gram of carbs has 4 calories and 1 gram of protein has 4calories. That being said, the only real high calories (calorie dense) foods are those that contain a fair amount of fat. FYI fat is not bad for you, it is essential to many functions of the body. Just choose healthy fats (avoid trans fats completely)
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Chobani yogurt is delicious and non-fat but 140 calories for 6 oz. I always use it as my filler to meet my goal.

I second some greek yogurt. Fage 0% has no fat and 170 calories a cup. I add some honey to take the "bite" out of it. It's good!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Calories come from 3 sources: carbohydrates, protein, and fats. So low fat, low carb, high calorie means high protein. But most protein has some fat along for the ride. Lean meats and foods with unsaturated fats ("good" fats) are your best options for finding what you want, but don't just ignore the good fats if you're consistently going over.

But don't be afraid of some carbs! The brain & central nervous system NEED carbs to function; protein is a poor substitute (very ineffecient conversion, with by-products) as far as the brain is concerned. Complex carbs (anything not a sugar) are healthy, especially if they come from whole-grain or vegetable sources. And fruits and veggies are packed with nutrients your body needs, as well as having carbs (and even sugars!)
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Why not add some clean whole grain bread? Or multi grain? Just check the ingredients and as long as you don't see sugar at the top, it's pretty clean. Try Burgen Soya & Linseed if you can find it. it's 110 calories per slice and 12 gr protein, 12 gr carbs.
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Beef, elk, deer jerky...high protein, low/no carbs, very low fat since most of the meat is fairly lean to start with, and remaining fat is melted off in the drying process. Watch the sodium though...we make our own jerky so have a bit of control there. If you're buying it in a package, check the labels...terriyaki and bbq flavors have more sugar. I have this to snack on often to help make my protein goals.
  • westhavenc
    Options
    Be careful with all types of yogurt...it's loaded with sugar (typically 18-20g per serving) which is stored as fat if not burned off. Stick with almonds/almond butter with an apple or celery which is filling and has the good fat.

Making your own hummus is also good. I use 1 can ea black beans & GN beans, tbl olive oil, juice of a lemon or lime, and whatever spices I want that week.