fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    fevrale wrote: »
    You can use any blender for green smoothies.

No you can not...

Yes, I can. And yes, I have. It's not "high performance" but it works.

Sorry but the vitamix is the only blender that completely obliterates all the ingredients to make a perfect drink. I have tried others and the smoothies have all come out gritty... never smooth. I have been making smoothies for over 10 years so I have plenty of experience...

You don't have to be sorry. Not everyone is seeking the same elusive smoothie perfection.

You clearly have not had a good one yet. If you did, you would know...

I'll add it to my bucket list so as to not offend the blender gods. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love my nutribullet - blends everything nice and smooth.
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I make one most mornings, this makes two smoothies (my wife LOVES them so it works out well, we split a pitcher):

2 small apples
    2 cups spinach
    1-2 cups water (depends on how thick or watery you want your smoothie, we usually do just about 1 cup)
    2 carrots OR 2 celery sticks (Depends on what we have around)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

This sounds delicious... Does it taste like apple pie, or is that just wishful thinking:-)

• mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    dave4d wrote: »

just weren't w

Wow! What's the ingredients in that one? My shakes only come out to between 300 and 400 calories, and that is when I use 2 scoops of protein powder.

I use about 2 cups of Spinach
    1 cup of unsweetened Almond milk
    1/2 to 1 frozen banana
    1 to 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    2 T Splenda
    Around 1/4 t peppermint extract
    And a few ice cubes
    (If I want the extra calories I will also add about a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips, but it has to be really thick or they just sink to the bottom.)
    dave4d wrote: »
    I use about 2 cups of Spinach
    1 cup of unsweetened Almond milk
    1/2 to 1 frozen banana
    1 to 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    2 T Splenda
    Around 1/4 t peppermint extract
    And a few ice cubes
    (If I want the extra calories I will also add about a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips, but it has to be really thick or they just sink to the bottom.)

I'm sure I didn't do this quote right but I'm new the the MFP app and I got tired of fulling with it...kinda new to cell phones all around....Anyway....I just wanted to say that this recipe sounds good, almost like a thin mint, which happens to be my favorite girl scout cookie 8*]

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You can use any blender for green smoothies.

No you can not...

Yes, I can. And yes, I have. It's not "high performance" but it works.

I agree. It certainly is nice to be able to spend hundreds of dollars on a vitamix but if you can't afford a luxury like that a less expensive blender most certainly does the job.

I stumbled on a fantastic deal in Walmart one time and got a $90 Ninja for $24.97. Best deal ever. Love the Ninja...it does a better job than a regular blender...but if a regular blender is your only option don't let that hold you back.

• wizzybeth
    Options

Sorry but the vitamix is the only blender that completely obliterates all the ingredients to make a perfect drink. I have tried others and the smoothies have all come out gritty... never smooth. I have been making smoothies for over 10 years so I have plenty of experience...

That's like telling people that only a Porsche will get them to their destination.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I have a Nutribullet, and I love it. My go to smoothie is as follows:

1/2c unsweetened almond milk
    2 1/2c spinach or kale
    1/4c of pineapple chunks
    1/4c of strawberries
    1 small pear
    1 serving of vanilla protein powder

It's absolutely delicious. :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have the $50 George Foreman blender, it mixes everything no problem
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I have had my vitamix for over 13 years. So in that sense, it really is not that expensive...
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good for you. I have had my $100 Oster blender for 19 years. Your point?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Good for you. I have had my $100 Oster blender for 19 years. Your point?

Why are you so angry?
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Project much?

Not angry. Just don't believe in making people think they need an extremely expensive appliance for a smoothie.

I'm not angry...are you?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Project much?

Not angry. Just don't believe in making people think they need an extremely expensive appliance for a smoothie.

I'm not angry...are you?

lol!
  • heatherwiebe
    heatherwiebe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mlbazemore wrote: »
    I make one most mornings, this makes two smoothies (my wife LOVES them so it works out well, we split a pitcher):

2 small apples
    2 cups spinach
    1-2 cups water (depends on how thick or watery you want your smoothie, we usually do just about 1 cup)
    2 carrots OR 2 celery sticks (Depends on what we have around)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

This sounds delicious... Does it taste like apple pie, or is that just wishful thinking:-)
    If you want a smoothie that tastes like apple pie:
    2 apples
    1/3 cup almonds
    1/2 tap allspice
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 dates
    1 cup water, almond milk or coconut milk (or more if you prefer it thinner)
    I will add protein powder too on days I am doing a hard workout or to replace a meal.

• vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love my nutribullet!!
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a green smoothie every morning and I love them. My skin has greatly improved and my digestion is great. I use Nutribullet and it does a great job.
    My favorite at the moment is:
    Kale
    Cucumber
    Lemon juice
    Chia seeds
    Frozen banana
    Ginger
    All mixed with filtered water.
    This one usually tops out at 180-250 calories depending on how much banana I add.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I love my nutribullet!!
    I have one and I like it too. It just never gets the leafy greens as smooth as I like. Do you find that as well or am I just not blending long enough?

It does a great job with frozen veggies. Haven't tried nuts in it yet but will soon...
  • suntomoon
    Options
    i bought a Diamond blender from Kitchen Aid because it crushes ice - which I sometimes use if my fruit isn't frozen. Love that texture of a slightly chewy breakfast or else I add more liquid (water/unsweetened almond milk). Go to is Earth Goddess Food: 2/3 cup frozen berries, 1 c kale& spinach, 1 carrot, 10 sprigs parsley, 2 inches english cucumber, 6 gr beans, (or any other green veg), cinnamon, protein powder scoop, knob of gingerroot, 2 tbsp chia. liquid as desired. All the nutrition I need before I leave for the day!
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ]I love my nutribullet!!

I have one and I like it too. It just never gets the leafy greens as smooth as I like. Do you find that as well or am I just not blending long enough?

It does a great job with frozen veggies. Haven't tried nuts in it yet but will soon...

Make sure you add enough water and blend well. I add nuts to my smoothie, they blend well. Just a few walnuts or cashew
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We have the Vitamix and it's the BEST investment I have ever purchased for our health! especially if you are going to be using it daily and for green smoothie, we had the walmart brand, nutribullet and ninja and NOTHING compare to Vitamix. I just found that you can get Vitamix from QVC for 5 easy payment... so $100 a month for 5 months with no interest. That's pretty good deal I think!

We have our "Not So Green Smoothie" daily and it's been fabolous - it's only about 200-300 calories too.

1 cup Spinach
    1 cup carrots of 6 medium bites one
    1/2 cup cucumber
    1 cup coconut water
    1 medium banana
    1 green or red apple (with skin, cored though ;))
    1 c of organic mango (Trader's Joes)
    1 c of mixed berries (Trader's Joes)
    2 tbsp of lemon juice
    water and ice

Good luck with your choices!