Looking for a healthy breakfast idea

Options
i usually do my workouts in the morning and I can't seem to find a healthy breakfast. Very very new to the whole diet thing. I use to be the kind of guy to eat 2,000 calories in one meal and not even think about it but now I need to haha

Replies

• NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello! Good for to decide to be more healthy!
    Oatmeal (from plain oats or low sugar variety) with fruit such as blueberries.
    Vegetables are the best thing. If you need to put them in something more breakfast-like you can add an organic egg. Red and green bell peppers, spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms are great in a mini omelet.
    Fruit smoothie! You can Google many healthy smoothie recipes.
    I love grits, but I'm a southern gal.
    Fruit salad.
    I've been buying KIND granola, but portions are small so it may not fill you up.
    Weekends - French toast made from whole wheat bread or an organic, frozen waffle

*avoids fatty, greasy, nitrate filled breakfast meats and try not to fall into the trap of making breakfast dessert!!! Good luck!!!
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a half of a banana but try to stay away from the flavored packets. They tend to have a lot of sugar.
    Yogurt with fresh fruit and granola
    Multi grain bread with peanut butter
    Granola bar with a piece of fruit.
    Egg whites with vegetables.

Hope this helps
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not have to be what people think of as breakfast food. Save something from the day before that you can microwave in the morning.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    My go to is Greek plain yogurt with nuts and fresh fruit in it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The first thing I found helps is to stop thinking of "Breakfast food" - Breakfast food as a concept was invented by Kelloggs and the like to sell food. There's no such thing as breakfast food, just food!

I quite like a small tin of tuna mixed with cottage cheese on Vita Weats, or a sandwich, or a piece of frittata, a wrap..
  • karldomrose
    karldomrose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like "Refridgerator Oatmeal" Google it.

I add all kinds of fruit to it. Usually some Honey also.
    Will make up a batch for the whole week at one time and throw them in the fridge. Easy to make and you don't even have to cook it!
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    My go to is Greek plain yogurt with nuts and fresh fruit in it.

Greek yogurt type of person too, I put strawberries and a dash of whip cream too!
  • neurex
    neurex Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My favourite breakfast food is an Egyptian dish called ful medames (there are many different spellings), which are cooked fava beans with cumin and olive oil and, perhaps, lemon juice. Unfortunately, it is hard to get in the US. The best I've had is canned which costs around $1 (it might either say ful medames or fava beans). Anyways, if you have a middle eastern store near you and don't mind paying around $1/meal, this is a very healthy and tasty breakfast. I discovered the dish randomly when shopping at an middle eastern grocer near my university and the cashier told me what to eat with it.
  • pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats is my reliable breakfast. I make it with low fat/calorie fruit flavored yogurt and almond milk to keep the calories down. It's super easy to just grab it and go the next morning.
  • nwalton81
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Definitely going to look into all these options
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I eat so many hard boiled eggs each morning/day now, it's not funny.
    Awesome way to pack in the calories and protein early on.
  • nwalton81
    Options
    Just curious, what's an average breakfast calorie wise. I've got 2,600 a day and I'm trying to balance it out equally so I'm not starving myself at dinner time
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    nwalton81 wrote: »
    Just curious, what's an average breakfast calorie wise. I've got 2,600 a day and I'm trying to balance it out equally so I'm not starving myself at dinner time

I lose around 1,500-1,600 and maintain around 1,800-1,900. I generally allow myself several hundred calories for breakfast if I'm really hungry. Tomorrow's menu is 100 calories worth of watermelon (around 330g), and two hard boiled eggs for 140 calories. 240 is about average for me, just because I tend to save my high calorie meals for lunch and dinner, and also plan for snacks too.

I have been known to have pancakes and bacon for breakfast every now and then, or a potato patty with some fruit, so that can be a bit higher than tomorrow's breakfast.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    nwalton81 wrote: »
    i usually do my workouts in the morning and I can't seem to find a healthy breakfast. Very very new to the whole diet thing. I use to be the kind of guy to eat 2,000 calories in one meal and not even think about it but now I need to haha

What is a healthy breakfast is whatever is healthy for you. What do you like to eat for breakfast? I say have that in moderation.

As for me, I have Bob's Red Mill old fashioned oatmeal with fruit and a cup of homemade mocha. I work out in the morning, so when I get home I am ravenous.