If my PIG can drop 35 pounds, so can I...who's your motivation?

Options
Our "Teacup Pig" potbelly pig reached a whopping 350 pounds by the age of 2. He was our first house pig and I didn't realize how much food I was giving him until I measured it one day. I saw a picture of him next to our son on the floor and couldn't believe how big he got and how fast! We never feed him table scraps, just pig pellets, veggies and crackers as snacks. Our vet brought it to my attention of the danger he was in at such a heavy weight so I started monitoring his food amounts and deducted half cup every 2 weeks until we leveled out at a comfortable amount, limited his snacks and added a lot more fresh veggies and apples. He has lost 35 pounds in a year! Still more to go but we take it one day at a time. We rescued a 2nd pig during this time, which made Rocky more active as well. Believe me, it's easier to diet your own body compared to a pig...Food is EVERYTHING to a pig! Wondering what this has to do with humans losing weight? It's very basic. Portion control, clean eating and exercise are the key to success in life whether it be humans or animals. I have lost weight along with my pig. I eat more fresh veggies when I cut them up for their meals! Lesson learned.... we all get a reality check when we see a photo of ourselves, we have to evaluate our foods and portions, make cleaner changes, exercise more and if cooking healthy for you, cook healthy for others. So, who is your motivator?

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I vote your post as "best post of the day!" I literally laughed out loud at the title. We almost adopted a pot belly pig but then figured out the costs involved once we got him and couldn't do it at the time.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Hahah I love this too! The little piggy lost 10% of his body weight already!
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    thanks! they require lots of attention and time, just like a child. we did a lot of research before getting our first pig and he fit our lifestyle just perfect. pigs are so loyal and affectionate.
  • erincricket
    erincricket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Love your motivation!! Mine is likely all the numbers I don't want to see--cholesterol, bp, etc.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Drop those numbers one at a time Erincricket! you can do this!