Counting calories makes me eat more than normal

Options
I figured out that counting calories is making me eat more then my normal eating habits ( for the past 10 yrs. ) I would skip lunch or breakfast before, and just eat dinner and I would be fine. While counting calories for 2-3 months, I gained about 6 lbs. Once I stopped doing this, I lost the 6 lbs with in 2 weeks. I'm not counting calories now, and eating my normal ways. I know this is going to cause a lot of negative comments, but I'm not sure what else to do...

Replies

• sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You have to do what works for you. Sorry you are having such a hard time finding out what that is.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    So, while you were counting calories, how many calories were you eating per day?
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    But it's not counting the calories that caused your weight gain, it was your intake of calories whilst you were counting them surely?

As the other poster said, do what works for you but health, energy, humour and diet wise, you'll probably do better by eating three smaller meals a day rather than one large one.
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Were you using a food scale? Because often when we are counting calories we look at portion sizes that vary from ounces to grams to pieces.

Also one bad habit I've caught myself in while counting calories is eating everything I've portioned out, even when I'm full, because its just a few more bites and that way I'll "know" how many calories I've eaten. Also it takes time and adjustment for your actual body type and activity level. MFP gives you a baseline to start at that you tweak from there
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think it was I was eating more than I normally do? I'm not sure exactly what made me gain weight, but thats the only thing I can think of. I've played around with intake any where from the minimum to 1600. Not sure what is going on.. But I really don't think before this, I was eating 1600 cals a day. I would eat a shake for breakfast ( bananas, fat free milk, tsp peanut butter) and that could hold me off til afternoon, where I would eat a little snack, then dinner. That was my normal eating habits before this. Doing this, I was eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and it seemed like a lot!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Do what you gotta do. But before when you weren't counting were you losing weight? If not, then you need to count -- you might initially gain but in the end you will lose more.

Or see what happens in the next two weeks doing what you usually do and since if you maintain or lose. You might lose a little more but then you will pry plateau
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same way but it just simply means your metabolism is slower and you should at least try to bump it up

That means you need to eat your 3 meals a day (some can be small meals - e.g. breakfast) and let your body adjust. My body plateaued for like 2 months before it adjusted accordingly.

But I can guarantee if you eat healthy (clean eating, weigh food, adequate protein, watch carbs) - you will not gain 6 lbs counting calories
  • nodnallynn
    nodnallynn Posts: 8
    Options
    were you keeping within your calories, were you exercising?
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    Yes I have been exercising 5 day a week since Sept. I had a baby 10 months ago, so I can't say anythign about losing weight, but I am at pre-pregnancy weight (190lbs size 12 pants.) I can say that I have lost inches, I didn't measure them but I know I have and I "look" thinner, just the scale has not dropped... I have never even a serving of meat in my life, I would eat half a chicken cutlet, half a pork chop etc.... I simply do not like meat much, but I am not a vegetarian. haha I know I'm weird. I do have a newly diagnosed thyroid problem but I do not want to use that as an excuse....
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    Also, the thinnest I have been ( that I can remember ) has been like 170, and I was a size 8. I set my goal to be 140 which maybe isn't realistic for me, I don't know though. I'm only 5'5 so I'm not tall. My BMI says I am obese because of my weight/height, but I do not look it... It is just so frusterating being in the 190's for years...
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try logging what you eat for the next two weeks and see what you are intaking. If you are under 1200 then try to get in a small lunch - 100 to 200 calories. If you feel like you are exhausted after working out then adjust accordingly. 1600 calories is a lot for some and not for others. There is nothing wrong with switching things up when you need to. I personally think that if you are gaining weight then it's time to re-evaluate. Good for you for recognizing it!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been exercising 5 day a week since Sept. I had a baby 10 months ago, so I can't say anythign about losing weight, but I am at pre-pregnancy weight (190lbs size 12 pants.) I can say that I have lost inches, I didn't measure them but I know I have and I "look" thinner, just the scale has not dropped... I have never even a serving of meat in my life, I would eat half a chicken cutlet, half a pork chop etc.... I simply do not like meat much, but I am not a vegetarian. haha I know I'm weird. I do have a newly diagnosed thyroid problem but I do not want to use that as an excuse....

I try not to use my thyroid as an excuse but realistically it is a HUGE problem for my energy level and when it's not working properly (which seems like always! My meds switch every 6 weeks) then it seems to take more effort on my part to lose weight. Having said that I would hide your scale for the next two weeks or month and just be you. Have fun with your little one, keep working out and log your food but not actively try to get in so many calories.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I sent you a msg ;)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize, at least in part. When I was younger and counting calories, it worked fine, but since I've been doing it this time, I always go over, or I just don't get around to it. I think its because I can't/don't carry my computer around with me, so its not as effective as the notebook I used to use. I'm always just kind of guessing now. The anemia and hypoglycemia aren't helping, but I think its mostly that I'm counting after the fact.