Losing weight without exercise???

Options
I am starting mfp tom, again, and curious if anyone has lost weight without doing a minute of exercise? If so, did you start exercising at any point, or did you keep the same non-exercise schedule?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is basically a matter of consuming fewer calories than you take in, so yes you can lose with out exercise.
  • Mwrarr
    Mwrarr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I lost my 1st 100# without exercising. But then I hit a big fat giant plateau.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24lbs in 4mths with zero exercise
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes. I walk but I don't do any rigorous exercise. I've lost 15 pounds cutting down on sugar, not eating any meat except fish, and drinking only water.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yes it works - did that for first 6 months - not a good idea though as you miss the opportunity to build muscle as well as lose fat initially...
  • QTIN
    QTIN Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's very possible to lose weight without exercise that's basically the joy of MFP but exercise is nice for adding more calories to your log so you can consume more, also you should try some form of exercise just because it's recommended and has health benefits.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Very doable! I don't exercise often but am fairly active since there is a lot of walking in my daily life. When I do exercise I enjoy being able to eat more.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Extremely doable! I exercise because I want to be strong, fast, look good, and live longer. Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss; that's mostly calories in < calories out.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, you don't have to exercise if you don't ant to or can't.
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    I've lost 15 pounds cutting down on sugar, not eating any meat except fish, and drinking only water.

And this is also totally unnecessary. Eat what you like, only less than maintenance, and you will lose weight.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Half the time i was bouncing off the walls but i lost 200lbs without any intentional exercise program. Lost an additional 46lbs since i starting doing daily 10k steps (on top of my normal daily routine) daily and 30 minutes elliptical.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I hike on the weekends, usually carrying my 3 year in a backpack, but other than that I don't exercise. I'm down 18 lbs in 11 weeks, and 30lbs since August. It's possible.

That said, I am planning to start exercising so I can be more fit for my hikes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Yes ofc you can, but imo exercise has really important health and underestimated weight loss benefits. If you do consistent exercise to support your diet then you will lose faster and become healthier. For people who are fearful about it then it starts with just simply walking a bit more than usual.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit equals weight loss.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    due to ankle surgery, I've had to cut out most weight bearing activities for the last couple of months. i'm still losing, but it's slower. Also, I've found that I really need the mental benefits of a good workout...nothing like a run to throw off the stress of the day. great appetite suppressant too.