Protein powder

Options
hi I'm wondering about protein powder and lifting I'm no where near my goal weight I'm not sure if I should be using the weight machines at the gym and taking protein powder?? What weight machines I should concentrate on ? Thanks

Replies

• lcguy
    lcguy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would suggest increasing your protein intake during meals and maybe a small protein snack (peanut butter, cheese stick w/ Apple) before your workout.

I personally prefer free weights over the machines. Start out with light weights or even resistance bands. Focus on your form for the exercise you are doing so that you don't injure yourself.

Types of machines/exercises to use depend on what you plan on working out. Always balance your workout, for every push exercise do a pull exercise. Biceps/triceps, chest/back.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I avoid protein powder. Too many carbs and calories. I use a creatine mix but the carbs and cals still suck. Stick with chicken, salmon, tuna, turkey.

If you want to lose fat, lift hard. Lift to failure. Gain muscle. Icguy said alot of good stuff, but at this stage just use everything available. I did free weights for a long time (and Ill cycle back into them) but machines have an important place too.

Keep at it and friend me if you want to.

Limit carbs to around 100 and sugars to as low as you can and you will lose weight by the fistfuls. Im down 25 pounds of fat and 43 to 35 inch waist in the last year. I added 5 pounds of muscle.
  • minnwow
    minnwow Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Chaneliex5 :smile: I've always used a vegan sourced protein powder for health purposes, Sun Warrior makes the best tasting ones! Protein powders are a good way to reach your macronutrient goals and most lifters have one right after their lift mixed with just water.

As for which weights to lift, most people start with basics and learn the proper form, thats the best way to get the most out of it. try searching for videos on hammer curls, shoulder press and best of all proper form squats.

Working your legs will burn more calories than any other part because they are the largest muscles in the body.

Hope that is helpful! <3
  • Ryan6691
    Ryan6691 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can find a good protein/meal replacement shake that's low in carbs and sugar. 1st Phorm, and Isagenix make a pretty good product. I would either use something like that, along with the chicken, and other lean meat like Jim said. Reason being that your body needs protein to make sure you're not going to lose lean muscle. Especially if you're going to be drastically cutting carbs. Good luck :)