Garmin - vivofit

Options
Now that Garmin has fixed the syncing problems I have noticed that it has automatically been adding "calories burned". I don't see how that is possible since I don't wear a HRM for that watch. I have to use my polar watch during workouts still (until I get one for the garmin). Does anyone have this or know how that works...?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It will still give you calorie burns like a fitbit without a HRM does. BMR + Steps + logged exercise
    You get extra calories on MFP if, your VivoFit estimates that for the full day you burned more calories than MFP's estimate.
    You get calories taken away on MFP if , you have negative adjustments enable and your VivoFit estimates that for the full day you will burn less calories than MFP's estimate.
    To see the math, click the little " i " next to where it says Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment in your exercise diary.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Ugh I am even more confused. It says Garmin (3026) Myfitnesspal (2032) - Calories burned 994. Do I do anything and what about what was recorded during my workout which was 526? Do I even bother adding it..?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If you log it with the correct time and duration, it will overwrite whatever calories Garmin thought you burned during that time frame.

Basically, it's saying that based on whatever you had burned the last time Garmin talked to MFP (tiny print under the Garmin Number) that it estimates by midnight you will burn 3026. MFP however at this point based on your activity level setting says you will only burn 2032 for the full day.

Garmin tracked you at being more active than what MFP thought so you get more calories added to your day.
  • hislittlelights
    hislittlelights Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find that the Garmin calorie count and MFP's are always off. Garmin consistently says that I have more calories I can eat, and MFP says fewer. I do have negative calorie counting turned on. I have no idea why these numbers will be different if I have them set to sync with one another......
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options