I know it's silly, but just looking for a bit of reassurance

Options
So today I have well and truly fallen off the wagon. Okay not a marathon binge eating session but I have gone at least 1500 calories over my allowance. I don't know what's happened! Just feeling scared as I was doing so well and this is the first time in ages that I have really gone off the rails and felt out of control. Do you think everyone does this at some point and then goes on to carry on losing? Shall I just put today down as one fat mistake and carry on tomorrow as if it didnt happen?

:-(

Replies

• brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yes, one bad day is not going to destroy all of your hard work! This is a lifestyle change....and, in life there will be up days and down days...just chalk it up as a down day and forge on!
  • skmath
    skmath Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it!! Just get back on that wagon and keep going :)
  • emily27uk
    emily27uk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    why wait until tomorrow, start a fresh NOW! Dont eat anything else today and try and get in an extra workout before bed, even if it is some yoga. I think thats peoples big mistakes 'oh I messed up start again tomorrow, next week, next month' Everyone has binges but those who loose weight are those who dont have then that often. Head up and stay strong!!

xxxx
  • ladyphoebe
    ladyphoebe Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! There is no reason to get yourself down about it. You realize that you have fallen off the wagon now just run up there and jump back on. We all have off days every now and then. Just remember how you felt this time the next time an oppertunity to go overboard presents itself. Good Luck!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yes. It happens to the best of us. Don't let yourself think 1 day equals a failure. We are all going to have days we go over (if we are honest with ourselves) the trick is to not have many of those days!!

I usually try to eat clean after days like that - but learned not to try to "make up" for it by eating fewer calories the next day or even over the next few days because that just starts a vicious cycle. So you were 1500 over, put that into weight loss terms --- you lose .5 pounds less this week. It will still be a loss!!!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yep....just start fresh.

No point in punishing yourself or dragging on the misery. Kind of like with children.....they do something naughty...they get a punishment and then it is done. You don't keep dragging it out for days on end for one little indescression.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Yes, start fresh, but don't wait until tomorrow! So you've gone over you calories for today. Big deal. Get in an extra workout, go for a walk after work, take a break and walk around the building while at work, etc. Take those little steps TODAY to fix things. If you were driving in the wrong direction would you wait until tomorrow to turn around? Nope! (At least I hope not! :laugh: ) Turn around today and get back on track! :drinker:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Keep this in mind...

to lose one pound you have to eat 3500 calories LESS than your maintainence calories which are higher than your daily calorie goals right now. This works the same way in reverse when gaining weight.

You have to eat 3500 calories MORE than your maintainence to gain one pound. THis is what it looks like

1200 - calories eaten per day to lose weight
    1800 - maintainence calories, or in other words, if you ate 1800 calories every day you wouldn't gain and you wouldn't lose
    3500 -calories needed in order to gain one pound of fat.

so in order to GAIN one pound of fat, you would have to eat your MAintainence calories of 1800 (that is my guess of what yours are) plus 3500 calories that is 5300 calories in one day to gain one pound.

You only ate 1500 calories over your daily limit. which I am guessing is somewhere around 1200 so that is only 2700 calories. that is about half of the calories needed to gain one pound. and that is only 900 calories over your maintainence goal. which equals roughly 1/4 of a pound gained. THAT ISNT BAD! and that is only if you continue to binge... so don't stress about it. Get in a work out, burn quite a few of those calories off and don't stress about it.

Its one day, and you can have that back by tomorrow, if you start NOW, don't wait until tomorrow. have a healthy balance of food today and call it good.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    one bad day, will not destroy all you've been working for, you body and mind must of needed something out of it. Just typing it out like you did proves you feel guilty, so try not to do it often, I'd say once a month is allowed, don't be so hard on yourself.

It has happened to me