Focus T25...Is it enough, or do you lift weights as well?

Options
I have done a few days worth of the Focus T25 program and I am thinking about doing at least the entire Alpha program since I put on some holiday pounds. I am looking to lose about 10-12 lbs. Prior to wanting to lose weight, I was maintaining by mixing weight training and cardio mostly through circuit training and interval training, but definitely weight training at least 3 times per week. I noticed with T25 that it's mostly cardio.

Do you find that this progroam is enough to help you lose weight and tone, or are some of you mixing it in with weight training or doing some type of hybrid? I want to lose weight, but I want to stay toned and even get more toned as well.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    When I did T25, I followed the program. Beta will start to add in some resistance bands/weights. A lot of what Shaun T does is cardio or bodyweight exercises. I lost weight and stayed toned with it. I credit T25 with helping me be able to do regular push-ups.

You can add in weight training if you want to. It's totally up to you.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    just stick with the program, although it is short it is more then enough for the day and you dont want to overtrain. I love t25 and I think youll love the results. If you have any more questions feel free to message me.
  • hautemomma14
    hautemomma14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    When I did T25, I followed the program. Beta will start to add in some resistance bands/weights. A lot of what Shaun T does is cardio or bodyweight exercises. I lost weight and stayed toned with it. I credit T25 with helping me be able to do regular push-ups.

That's great to hear! I was a little worried because I LOVE the way my body looks when I am toned from lifting weights, and although I am wanting to lose some weight, I didn't want to lose muscle and and my definition. I appreciate your feedback! :-)
  • hautemomma14
    Options
    just stick with the program, although it is short it is more then enough for the day and you dont want to overtrain. I love t25 and I think youll love the results. If you have any more questions feel free to message me.

Chrisparadise579 thank you so much for your advice as well! The last thing I want to do is overtrain. I appreciate it, this helps a lot!
  • hautemomma14
    Options

jdhcm2006, how long was it until you saw results?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Depends on how strong you want to get. Part of Beta and all of Gamma incorporates dumbbell work, so if you stick with it you'll be getting plenty enough to stay well toned. But I can guarantee Shaun T didn't get his build just doing T25-style workouts.
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I've actually just started T25 as well and was curious about the same thing!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I think I lost about 7 pounds in the first month, and maybe 5-7 in the second month. I also did Gamma. I'm guessing b/c I did T25 back in February-April.

@hill8570‌ I agree with that b/c T25 is not enough time to get ripped like that. But I don't see him being a lifter like Tony Horton, I could see him doing more bodyweight exercises while incorporating some weights.
  • hautemomma14
    Options

I think I lost about 7 pounds in the first month, and maybe 5-7 in the second month. I also did Gamma. I'm guessing b/c I did T25 back in February-April.

@hill8570‌ I agree with that b/c T25 is not enough time to get ripped like that. But I don't see him being a lifter like Tony Horton, I could see him doing more bodyweight exercises while incorporating some weights.

jdhcm2006 oh wow you did great the first and second month! That's fantastic!
  • hautemomma14
    Options
    Thanks everyone for answering my questions! I have the DVD's so I may as well give them a try! I've had them for a while now but like I said, I was so used to lifting to tone, I kind of shrugged T25 off. I have done Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and have gotten great results in the past, but I got bored with it and was looking for something different. I'm definitely going to "fully" start T25 after the holidays so I can at least get through the Alpha program.
  • iankuk
    iankuk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Amazing to see this thread,i started t25 today and was wondering the exact same thing! I got more to lose though so will be sticking with just t25! Doing it for fitness at mo coz of xmas coming shortly lol
  • jdmalone75
    jdmalone75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in for the exercise counting on MFP? Since the exercise isn't listed I'm not sure what to put... Aerobics - General? I would put High impact but I'm doing modified version still...???
  • hill8570
    Options
    jdmalone75 wrote: »
    What are you putting in for the exercise counting on MFP? Since the exercise isn't listed I'm not sure what to put... Aerobics - General? I would put High impact but I'm doing modified version still...???

Aerobics for most of the speed and cardio workouts. Calisthenics for the ones that are primarily bodyweight stuff with a smidge of cardio recovery. Some of the Gamma I'll log as circuit training.

• carrazo
    carrazo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used this - gives you a good indication based on weight/age/sex etc - http://www.t25calories.com/
    -
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So does anyone actually do focus t25 and weights? I'm thinking about doing this and on the days.I don't, doing my weight lifting routine 2/3 days a week.
  • hill8570
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    So does anyone actually do focus t25 and weights? I'm thinking about doing this and on the days.I don't, doing my weight lifting routine 2/3 days a week.

During the winter, I'll often do a T25 workout on my non-lifting days (I lift MWF, other days are assorted cardio)
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ty, I may try to do both
  • thirdred
    thirdred Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've done a hybrid of T25 and P90X. Best of both worlds.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

I alternate between Insanity and the Gamma T25 workouts that use weights. Does that count? ;)
  • cdb101970
    cdb101970 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! :)

I started the 10 week programme 9 weeks and 2 days ago and this morning nailed Beta Week 5 Day 2 Core Cardio.
    As of last Saturday I have lost 25lb and several inches (I am 45 years old :o , exactly 5 foot tall and my starting weight was a hefty 168lb :s ).

When I started out I thought "not a chance will I keep up" - for the first month or so I did have to modify, but you DO gradually get better and better and keep up more and more and modify less and less. I promise it's no lie when I say I started with ZERO upper body strength and Alpha Total Body Circuit almost killed me every bloody time!!

I still have to modify push-ups sometimes even now and cannot yet keep up with the burpees. That's NOT the point though - Shaun T throughout the programme repeats that you should GO AT YOUR OWN PACE so I do. You learn the move names and eventually don't have to look at the screen as much - just listen to the instruction and go at your pace.

The types of moves like this are dynamic moves - so the whole point is in the build up - with these you get the most benefit than just going headlong into squats and burpees etc. Beta and Gamma add in weights once you get there and my reducing batwings are grateful for that, although I do need 2kg and 3kg weights for one of the workouts.

I start Gamma this coming Monday and that looks daunting - previewing Speed 3.0 actually gave me palpitations as it's pretty much all on the floor with burpees and worse!

My aim is to lose a further 14lb before 26 July and I have no intentions of not making that goal - no matter how tough it gets (and I know it gets worse still)... BRING IT ON I say!!!

I will add that I have never EVER sweat this much - I swear to God I didn't even know it was physically possible to sweat that much... I have to mop the floor after every session!

Maybe Insanity Max 30 after Gamma, then the world... Who knows - all I know is I'm fitter, healthier and look better than I have done perhaps ever B)