Wisdom tooth removal

Options
Next week I should be having a wisdom tooth removed under general anaesthetic. I'm aware that I'll not be able to eat properly for a while and deffo only soft food for a day or so.

I'm keen to keep my diet on track which includes eating enough, I'll feel groggy so might not want to eat too much. I'll be resting so would like at least 1000 calories a day.

My list of foods will be yoghurt, mashed potato and mashed carrot. I don't have a blender and to be honest blending up a roast dinner does not appeal. I will also have a slim fast shake each morning until I can eat breakfast again.

Any other quick easy ideas? nutritious, filling, not too hot and will keep my calories in the acceptable range.

Or shall I just live on ice cream for a day or 2 :wink:

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm having one out tomorrow. I'm pre-prepping some chicken and sweetcorn soup (made with creamed corn) and planning on that, and mash, and ice cream, and by about day 2, shepherds pie. :) I figure I'll not be up to eating too much for a couple days, which will balance the lack of moving :)
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm having one out tomorrow. I'm pre-prepping some chicken and sweetcorn soup (made with creamed corn) and planning on that, and mash, and ice cream, and by about day 2, shepherds pie. :) I figure I'll not be up to eating too much for a couple days, which will balance the lack of moving :)

Oh good luck. Sounds like you're thinking similar to me, I'm keen to ensure I don't drop calories too low so I can recover quickly and don't end up just feeling tired. I might deserve some ice cream x

• Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When I had mine out, I ate very little for two days, chicken soup was perfect. I made up for it afterwards though, for two days straight I ate, chocolate ice cream, and cheesy nachos with salsa and guacamole, (my binge is always the same) and it didn't derail any weight loss.

You will feel so much better once they are out. To help healing, rinse your mouth out with hot salted water half a dozen times a day. All the best to you.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Good luck to you too! May we both recover quickly and have strong painkillers ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Just as a headsup, if they can't regularly pull them and have to cut them out, prepare for 3-4 weeks of no solid foods. Nothing hot, neither temperature nor spiciness wise.
    When I had mine out, I ate very little for two days, chicken soup was perfect. I made up for it afterwards though, for two days straight I ate, chocolate ice cream, and cheesy nachos with salsa and guacamole, (my binge is always the same) and it didn't derail any weight loss.

You will feel so much better once they are out. To help healing, rinse your mouth out with hot salted water half a dozen times a day. All the best to you.

No hot water if you got stitches though. That would be bad.
  • lisaw19855
    Options
    I don't think mine will be cut out, it isn't below the gum but is sensitive so they want to knock me out, my dentist said he wouldn't need to cut them out. Fingers crossed.....

Although might do a meal replacement diet for a few weeks if they cut them out.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just got mine out yesterday, literally less than 24 hours ago and I have been eating like normal. My dentist just told me not to chew on that side. I didn't even get any heavy duty pain relief, just Tylenol. I kept the tooth though, thinking of selling on Ebay to recoup some of the extraction costs. Good luck!

Edit: Oh he also said not to gargle anything.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    peanut butter will help you get to your calorie goal! That's what I did...lots of greek yogurt and peanut butter
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Milkshakes (no straw) are an oral surgery patient's friend. I was going to suggest blending up some frozen bananas with a little milk and pb2 to save you the calorie bomb, but I see you don't have a blender. Hmm.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When I had oral surgery I practically lived on cookies soaked in milk, but I'm weird. I like soggy and mushy textures. I remember being told by the doctor to eat ice cream often, so I did. I also had warm (not hot) oatmeal, custards and all kinds of puddings, poached eggs, yogurt concoctions, dulce de leche concoctions, milkshakes, soups - preferably cream of mushroom or tomato and basil, a little bit later I moved to soft noodles, mashed potatoes, pancakes, baked or poached white fish fillets, bananas, dumplings, potato gnocchi, boiled soft grains, soft beans, greek yogurt spread or cream cheese crustless bread sandwiches and crustless french toast. I had a very tricky surgery with a long recovery time, so I've tried it all and more, but I sure welcomed all the cream pies my mother made for me.

Have you ever tried semolina porridge? It was one of my childhood foods so I was thrilled it made a comeback! Check it out (a very satisfying 1 cup serving comes at about 250-280 calories):
    http://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/main-dish-recipes/semolina-porridge-mannaya-kasha.html

I also ate baby food, the kind you mix with warm water or milk, but then again I'm weird like that. I've always liked that stuff (6 tablespoons of the mix in 3/4 cup of water has 180 calories - more if in milk).

Cerelac_Multi_Grain%20copy.1.jpg
  • lisaw19855
    Options
    So the damn thing is out, hospital cancelled again so I went to the dentist and he whipped it out in seconds. I am impressed, so far, very little pain.

Had mashed potato, yoghurt and ice cream this evening and no discomfort. My jaw does feel a little stiff, I'm shopping tomorrow so getting some mousses and veg which I should be able to manage if I boil the life out of it.

Hopefully eating more normally come Friday or Saturday. Obviously no sharp foods etc but have to rinse my mouth with salt water from tomorrow.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 days to be able to eat normal food again, it kinda sucked! Veggies didn't work at all for me, but mashed veggies were fine, as well as room temperature soups.

Loved pancakes, protein cheesecake, refried beans, eggs, ground meat etc.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese and applesauce. Just remember to drink lots and lots of water. Your body needs that to heal.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I was eating normal food by the next morning, it hasn't given me any trouble, yay!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to eat normal food. They were impacted much more then they thought. Then I got the dreaded dry sockets. YIKES! All my food was mashed for about a week. Lots of pudding, apple sauce (so much that I can't eat to this day), mashed potatoes and lots of ice cream. I drank chicken and beef broth as well.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I did soup and Ice Cream with mine. Mmm, ice cream
  • rissavanwey
    Options
    Good luck! Enjoy your soup and ice cream :)

Not food related, just random tidbits:
    - No straws or smoking
    - No squirt bottles that make you suck to get the liquid out
    - If your pain doesn't go away after 24 hours or so, call your dentist. After two of mine were removed, the pain just never really stopped (I thought that was normal) and when I went back to have stitches removed my dentist griped at me because I had the "worst dry sockets he'd ever seen" and I should've called or come back in.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just had a titanium rod implant on my front upper tooth. Talk about a pain in the *kitten*. The pain was pretty much non-existent, but, they left the stitches long because "if they are short, they come undone easy". So all day I had stitches floating around all over my tongue, mouth..... hope they don't do that for you. It's more of an annoyance, especially if they make you flush out the surgical site with a plastic syringe daily like they did me..... God I hated that.

The diet will suck. Just enjoy puddings, jellos, protein shakes, ice cream, protein sludges, chocolate milk, etc.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    smoothies made with avocados and berries are yummy and nutritious
  • lisaw19855
    Options
    I am a bit paranoid about dry socket but the hole is red which I assume is the clot that I'm supposed to have. 24 hours on and only pain if I put pressure on that side which I assume is bruising x