Addicted to sugar - trying to wean myself

As I have been 100% honest and logged everything I eat, I can see that everyday I go over my sugars. I'm okay with sugar in fruit, but I didn't realize I ate treats everyday. I know I can never cut it out completely (that is set up for failure) but I want to decrease my sugar intake. Is it simply forcing myself to eat vegetables over jube jubes/cookies and eventually the craving will go away?

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    how far over your sugar goals are you going? i never paid much attention to my sugar intake and still lost weight by staying under my calorie goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    If I stay under my calories and meet my nutrition goals (I aim for a certain amount of protein, certain quantity of veggies, some fruit, etc.), I don't care at all how I meet my excess calories as long as the food is worth it. I might eat a higher calorie meat or some cheese or, sure, a sweet treat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Sugar isn't really something that needs to be tracked, barring any medical reasons, IMO.

And cutting something out of my diet is a better way for me to fail than to allow myself stuff I still enjoy. I aim for my protein goal, then fat and then the rest is whatever I feel like.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    The sugar setting on here is ridiculously low. Granted that I have a low caloric limit because I'm old and short, but the other day, I went over on sugar from non-starchy veggies and dairy (cottage cheese and plain yogurt). Not a single fruit, not a single treat. You need to remember that sugar from "healthy" food is being included in your sugar tracking.

Sooooo, saying that, as long as you're eating an otherwise balanced diet, don't worry about your treats!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    the other day, I went over on sugar from non-starchy veggies and dairy (cottage cheese and plain yogurt)

I something similar recently, although I think it required some sweet potato. It was weird, since my calorie limit isn't even that low.
  • i realised myself i cant work without sugar , im not pauying attention to it but constantly im searching for something sweet and if i cant find it im sleepy i h e headache or im like recharged battery , i cant work without it , im irrtated and sleepy all the time
  • PeachyCarol
    edited February 2015
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    the other day, I went over on sugar from non-starchy veggies and dairy (cottage cheese and plain yogurt)

I something similar recently, although I think it required some sweet potato. It was weird, since my calorie limit isn't even that low.

For me? It was having a HUGE portion of cauliflower that did it. I roasted it without oil, so I just ate a ridiculous amount of it for only 120 calories. That on top of my breakfast cottage cheese and dinner yogurt did me in. Oh, wait! There was some pumpkin in there, but pumpkin doesn't have as much sugar as some of the other winter squashes do. The cauliflower is the one I remember, because it was something like 10 or 11 grams of sugar.

• I use Stevia sweetener 100% and really look more sugar. Sometimes honey bees consumption but only in extreme cases.
  • p0ck3t
    p0ck3t Posts: 8 Member
    How high is your sugar intake now? I personally have the worst control when it comes to sugar, and typically log almost 60g per day, but so far it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member

For me? It was having a HUGE portion of cauliflower that did it. I roasted it without oil, so I just ate a ridiculous amount of it for only 120 calories. That on top of my breakfast cottage cheese and dinner yogurt did me in. Oh, wait! There was some pumpkin in there, but pumpkin doesn't have as much sugar as some of the other winter squashes do. The cauliflower is the one I remember, because it was something like 10 or 11 grams of sugar.

Cauliflower is the devil!!
  • PeachyCarol

Cauliflower is the devil!!

Truly laughed out loud.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I don't know if I have ever once looked at my sugar consumption. If you're losing weight and feel satiated throughout the day, I don't see the problem.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    lisamoralg wrote: »
    I use Stevia sweetener 100% and really look more sugar. Sometimes honey bees consumption but only in extreme cases.

You eat honey bees?
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    I noticed through my logging that I used to drink five to six if not more cups of tea a day (we love our tea in Ireland and drink it like water lol) With each of those cups of tea I would have had two teacakes or two or three biscuits depending on the biscuit. Now I allow for 150 calories in my daily calorie goal for a cup of tea (with one sugar, used to be two) and a teacake or other small chocolate treat generally for the end of the day. I am also now down to three cups a day and some days I now only have one. If I have two other cups of tea during the day there is no biscuits with them and on some days I replace one of my teas with a herbal tea. Key is small changes, balance, moderation and not deprivation. A little of what you like and want will hopefully keep you on track. Good luck! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I swapped my sugar out for fibre and stick to my calorie goals

• allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    how far over your sugar goals are you going? i never paid much attention to my sugar intake and still lost weight by staying under my calorie goal.
    I need to clarify, I eat a lot more calories in sugar than I realized. I find myself eating 200-400 calories/day in sugar. What I'm wondering is how people are able to resist the treats or can they slowly replace healthy snacks over ice cream or chocolate bars.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    allangirl wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I need to clarify, I eat a lot more calories in sugar than I realized. I find myself eating 200-400 calories/day in sugar. What I'm wondering is how people are able to resist the treats or can they slowly replace healthy snacks over ice cream or chocolate bars.

I swapped chocolate for rasberries and blackberries.
    Also chocolate quest bars are great. Lots of protein and fibre for 160 calories.
    fruit greek yogurt is also a nice sweet fix, as are chocolate protein shakes.

• lauren13stone
    lauren13stone Posts: 7 Member
    I bought a sugar detox magazine a few months ago bc I have the same issue with sugar! I wake up wanting something sweet and if I give into the craving then I crave more sugar for the rest of the day. The magazine recommended cutting things out of your diet in two week intervals. First week was cutting out sugary drinks, when you have found success in that then cut out one form of junk food like cookies. Keep introducing new restrictions and it's not torturing yourself lol
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Sugar isn't really something that needs to be tracked, barring any medical reasons, IMO.

And cutting something out of my diet is a better way for me to fail than to allow myself stuff I still enjoy. I aim for my protein goal, then fat and then the rest is whatever I feel like.

This is very true! If your blood sugar and insulin levels are good to go, you can ignore that and watch calories more closely.

HOWEVER. Sugar addiction is a very real, very limiting thing. I was an addict most of my life and only in the last few months have I broken myself of that addiction. Before, one cupcake would snowball into one tray of cupcakes. If that sounds like what your response to sugar is like, add me and we can talk more. I have a ton of info about sugar addiction, just not sure what is relevant to your situation.
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    lisamoralg wrote: »
    I use Stevia sweetener 100% and really look more sugar. Sometimes honey bees consumption but only in extreme cases.

You eat honey bees?

Also I need clarification on this lol.