Whole food plant based diet

Options
It seems like some have felt threatened from my posts in the past about whole food plant based diet. Is there anyone else on this site that follows WFPB diet? If so how long? Have you felt successful? Has your health or health indicators improved? Thanks!

Replies

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have done a whole plant based diet for short amounts of time. I usually do this 3 or 4 times per year to 'clean out'. Usually 3-7 days. Personally, I couldn't sustain for months on end. I tend to eat this way anyway but I do consume small amounts of fish, yogurt, and eggs too.

I think you would really seem some positive results if your diet contains a lot of processed, inflammatory foods.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I try not to fall into diet labels but depending upon how you define plant based that could fit me. I eat eggs, yogurt, meat fish and chicken but i also eat TONS of fruits, veggies nuts and seeds. Most of my calories come from plant based foods but I am not strictly vegan or vegetarian by any stretch.
  • lchadwick3
    lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I try not to fall into diet labels but depending upon how you define plant based that could fit me. I eat eggs, yogurt, meat fish and chicken but i also eat TONS of fruits, veggies nuts and seeds. Most of my calories come from plant based foods but I am not strictly vegan or vegetarian by any stretch.

This is where I am exactly. The only non-whole plant based things I eat right now are protein powder in my smoothies, greek yogurt, and the tortilla I eat my salad in. Everything else is plant based including beans I add to the salad on the tortilla. I'll have chicken or salmon on occasion but that's about it for meat. My triglycerides are in normal range and my HDL is improving but that's mostly from exercise. I have a family history of high cholesterol so to keep mine just above the high level without medication is as good as it's been. I've been eating this way since October though, so the next bloodwork in June will really tell the tale.
  • vegankat
    vegankat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I follow a WFPB diet. I was more of a junk-food vegan until the beginning of this year, but now I am completely plant-based, no oil.