milk v's almond Milk

Options
hmz74
hmz74 Posts: 53 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Which is the better for you and why? Or does it come down to preference?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Better in what way?
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've just started using almond milk just to see how it tastes really, so far I've noticed regular almond milk seems to have quite a bit of sugar in it so I might try unsweetened. I don't have that sweet a tooth so it made my morning coffee taste like it had sugar in it (yuk!) My opinion is so far is that it's a more expensive way of doing what regular milk did, but then I don't have a problem with lactose either. :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Almond milk doesn't have the protein that cows milk has. If you want a non dairy beverage with a closer profile to cows milk, soy is a better choice.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk because I don't like the taste of cow milk.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Depends on your preference.

I like raw milk.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love cashew milk!!! And it has calcium unlike almond milk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    hmz74 wrote: »
    Which is the better for you and why? Or does it come down to preference?

If you have no medical intollerance/allergy and both are consumed as part of an overall balanced diet, then it's just personal preference.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like and use both. I generally use the unsweetened or light vanilla almond milk, the normal sweetened stuff is to sweet for my taste. When I use milk I generally use 2%.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to get from it and what you like to drink. I personally cannot drink most almond or soy milks because they add carageenan and I can't tolerate it. It is true that dairy milk has more protein than almond. To me almond milk is just like drinking water with calories.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of a lactose issue so I've been enjoying vanilla almond milk these days - tastes great in coffee!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk has fewer calories, fewer carbs, and a bit more calcium, but less protein than cow's milk. I get my protein elsewhere, so I prefer unsweetened almond or cashew milk. If I were to drink milk by itself, I like regular almond milk or 2% cow's milk best, but I rarely drink milk alone. In protein shakes, it all tastes the same to me.

Just drink what you like. The nutritional difference isn't significant unless you drink a hell of a lot of milk.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    outside of medical issues- fully personal preference and calorie needs.

I prefer cow milk- but I don't need the calories- and I don't drink it fast enough- so I use *unsweetened* almond milk.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I like almond/soy milk in my protein shakes b/c they're less calories. I use cow's milk for pretty much everything else. I do not have a lactose intolerance so for me it's just personal preference.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i like sweetened almond milk in my coffee, it gives me 45 percent my daily needs of calcium, and bonus, tastes like almonds. Pretty much all win for me.
  • joh3092
    joh3092 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting has led me to drinking almond or cashew milk, I also have very mild lactose intolerance. Please I find the taste of Almond/Coconut blend especially or Cashew milk more pleasing. But that's very much a subjective thing.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Depends on your nutritional requirements. As far as my goals are concerned, cow or soy milk has better macros (there's hardly any protein in almond milk or coconut milk).

As far as taste is concerned, I'm happy with any of the above.
  • jmacok
    jmacok Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened dark chocolate almond milk mainly for my protein shakes. I am also lactose intolerant now so regular milk is out the window for me. Almond milk, for me, is a good substitute.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    like most said, it's personal preference for me - I don't use milk that often - so I opt for the unsweetened almond milk - less calories/less carbs/less sugar/longer shelf life
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I prefer unsweetened almond milk because it has less calories and few carbs....I put it in my protein shakes, on my oatmeal and I just drink it plain too....however, my coffee must have 6% light cream....25 calories for 2 tbsp....that's my one thing I won't compromise on....:)...good thing I only have two cups at most....lol
  • hmz74
    hmz74 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I picked the almond milk up the other day and I was just wondering why would I drink almond compared to normal milk when I don't have any intolerance. Thank you for the responses and great insight.