Exercise = Zero calories burned?

Options
I have been searching for an answer to this, please help.
I log my exercises (sit ups, push ups, etc) but calories burned show up as 0. I have been away from this MFP for about a year. I was able to see these calories burned before... has something changed in the ap?
Thanks for the help!

Replies

• cdnelson0102
    cdnelson0102 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It may be putting it under strengthening, because that is what it was doing for me. I now go under Calisthenics. It should show up under cardio then. I know it is irritating and demotivating.
  • heikehouse
    heikehouse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cdnelson - Are you saying I should be logging these exercises under cardio vs. strength?
    - Will it calculate calories burned automatically?
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    log in cardio and search calisthenics... you can put in minutes and whether it is vigorous or light
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Logging strength exercises as cardio will give you a number in the calorie column ... not a correct number, but a number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    log it under cardio as calisthenics.
  • heikehouse
    Options
    It allows for length of time not for number. and even when a put in a fake time, it still says 0 calories burned???
    Feeling really dumb.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    For strength training, I log the specific exercises I do individually under "strength training", and then make an entry under "cardiovascular" to account for the aggregate minutes and calories burned (which I use an HRM and fitness app to calculate as I workout).
  • AZTallguy
    AZTallguy Posts: 154 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I asked this question some time last week as it was happening to me too. The answers I got were basically that strength training is so relative to each of us that it's really undefinable to be useful. And the other thing they mentioned was that MFP highly over states the burns in the Cardio section if you log it as calisthenics. Hope this helps.

Here's my question post.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31165506#Comment_31165506
  • heikehouse
    Options
    Thank you, AZ. I read all of those posts, and none of them were very helpful. I just want to get a rough estimate of how may calories I'm burning when I do 60 sit ups, etc. I agree with you that no matter if it's cardio or strength, we are burning calories. Even just sitting here writing this post is burning SOMETHING.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What you burn just sitting here writing is already accounted for in the calculations. HRMs are not designed or programmed for producing anything close to an accurate caloric estimation for activities beyond steady state cardio ... and even those are limited in scope.

For a little perspective on caloric burn ... a 200 pound person has to walk roughly 1.66 miles to net a 100 calorie burn. That same person has to run .8 miles to net 100 calories. A few pushups or situps is not a big calorie burn.