Starting A "Paleo" lifestyle change: Gluten-free, grain-free

Options
I am starting a Paleo lifestyle change today. No more grains. No more gluten. No more processed foods. I threw out literally everything in my pantry and everything in my freezer.

I would love to hear from anyone who is having success on Paleo. I would love to mooch off your recipes and meal ideas (and share some that I find as I go). I'd also love to make some Paleo friends who help me through this process.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I have been tinkering with this idea for about two weeks lol I also like the primal too. add me
  • Nbean24
    Nbean24 Posts: 14
    Options
    I just ordered the book and the cookbook - my soon to be sister in law has had great results with it. I hope to start it by the end of this week!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Bump! I can't eat Gluten so i would love to know if Paleo works.....
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    After finishing "The New Evolutionary Diet," which talks a lot about a Paleo-influenced diet, I'm trying to move this way, too. I would love to hear others' ideas, too. If there's a downside for me, it's that I don't eat meat aside from fish, so it definitely adds to the challenge of cleaning up my diet & getting ample protein.
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    Bump! Would love to know how this works...any recommendations on reading up on it? I've heard gluten-free is a good way to lose weight and am very interested in trying it out.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    So you never eat grains again?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm a Primal Blueprinter, which is a little more lenient than Paleo. I strongly recommend the book Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso, though. It's awesome. 1 month grocery list, meal plan, recipes, workout plan, and how to get the rest of your family on board, too!
    Best $20 splurge you'll make this month ;)
  • sushilicious
    Options
    Paleo <3
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Been Paleo/Primal for almost 4 months. Have dropped 30+ lbs, 5 pant sizes and significant bodyfat. It's not for everybody but it is effective for those that do it. Have also been intermittent fasting daily for the last month+.
  • Christiane81
    Options
    http://primitivefamily.wordpress.com/ This blog is excellent if you are getting into the lifestyle
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hmm had never heard of paleo diet or lifestyle before this thread...definitely peeking my interest though.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    There are several of us on here, and a couple of groups you can join, just add us as friends and I'm sure you'll find them! Even if people don't agree with the lifestyle, I encourage people to actually do your own research on it, it's very eye-opening, at least it was for me.
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I only have one question....since your body requires certain enzymes which come from grains, how do you get around that?
  • BodyByBrusselSprouts
    BodyByBrusselSprouts Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Primal for about 3 weeks now. Primal is a slightly less strict version of Paleo (you can have some dairy for example). I am loving it now. For the first 7-10 days it was pretty rough. It was like quitting smoking all over again: brain fog, cravings grouchy and tired. But then boom, it was like someone opened the window shades. I've felt great since. I've lost 8 lbs so far. The raccoon-like dark circles under my eyes that I have had forever are gone. My sleep is great, deeper and shorter. Everyday in the last week or so I have woken up before my alarm. Weird.

Last night for dinner I made portobello pizzas. Get some big portabello mushroom caps, coat em in olive oil cover them in stewed tomatoes oregano basil sausage peppers onions whatever you want on pizza and bake for about a 20 minutes. I put mozzarella and parmesian cheese on them but they are good without too.

I also make a hash in the morning with onions peppers bacon or chopped steak (or both) feta cheese and a huge handful of spinach. Sautee and when nearly done stir in 3 or 4 eggs and scramble it all together. Delish!

Good luck. Lots of haters on here, decide for yourself
    dave
  • BodyByBrusselSprouts
    BodyByBrusselSprouts Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would like to know specifically which enzyme(s) one gets from grains that they don't get elsewhere.
    dave
  • skinnybitch1987
    Options
    This is what I do and it has worked amazingly for me! I guess some advice I could give is try to count carbs instead of calories, invest in a good fiber pill the first month lol, Don't be afraid to eat fatty meat or bacon or cook with butter, and feeling "off" the first few weeks is normal while your body learns to process without all that sugar : )

You're gonna love it!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I only have one question....since your body requires certain enzymes which come from grains, how do you get around that?
    I am curious about what enzymes you think we need that are in grains? I was reading this study that a lot Paleo points to as evidence that grains are bad for us, but the truth is, for most of us who tolerate gluten well, grains are just unnecessary-there's more protein in meat, more fiber in vegetables, more B-vitamins in meat.
    grains are just easy to grow, easy to store, easy to transport and that makes them ideal for say, feeding starving people in remote areas. It's better than nothing but there is something better than grains for almost every essential nutrient we need.
    I am trying two weeks without flour, I think my diary is public. I am trying to cut out simple sugar too, but that's harder. I haven't eliminated dairy or corn.
  • SammySweetheart
    Options
    @cbarber9: thanks!
    @davidwhitt: I actually quit smoking 3 weeks ago, so I feel like I can do anything now! Also: your portobello pizza idea is absolutely genius and totally made my tummy growl. I just found out my favorite local pizza joint is offering gluten free crust, too =D
    @skinny*****: why in the world would I need a fiber pill with all the fruits and veggies I'll be eating?
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Which enzymes are those? Keep in mind that we do eat veggies, fruits, and nuts, so maybe whatever you're referring to is found in those items. Also, man didn't evolve eating grains. That was something that came later, and then the agricultural era boomed. Before then, it man was a hunter/gatherer, so obviously the human body functions without grains.

I've been pretty primal for about 2-3 mos now. I never had any "carb flu" or anything like that to begin with, but I guess I was already kinda low carb just b/c of the calories, so it didn't effect me too much. But what I did notice, is that after being on a plateau for about a month, I dropped 3 lbs in the first wk! The next wk I dropped another, then another...the only way I can keep weight on now is to "slip up" and add some grains in there.

I look better, I feel better, I don't need to work out like a maniac, like I was before....it's been great, and it's totally easy to do. Tomorrow I get my bloodwork, so we'll see how my new lifestyle is actually affecting my health.