stuck

Pinalop25
Pinalop25 Posts: 10 Member
I'm a bit stuck on recipes for myself as I'm a very fussy eater and don't eat spicy foods. Even mustard sets my mouth on fire. Can anyone help?

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    What kinds of foods to you like?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I am an adventurous eater but every now and then I come across something too spicy for me. Creamy ingredients mellow out spice. You may try recipes that have both spice and creamy ingredients until you develop a taste or tolerance for spice. Example sour cream or yogurt with salsa in mexican dishes. Yogurt or mayo with curry powder in chicken salad. Peanut butter and chilies in thai food. Sugar balances spice too. Example honey mustard.

Or just leave out the pepper, mustard or chilies in recipes. Comfort foods like chicken soup are mild in flavor. Just keep it simple a meat and two sides. A starch like rice, potato, corn, pasta and a veggie. I will post one mild recipe and one with a hint of spice.

You can always start with a fourth of the spicy ingredients and taste, then add more if you enjoy it. Just remember some spice or flavors intensify the longer they cook.

Mild: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/amish-chicken-corn-soup.html

Hint of spice: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/03/curried-chicken-salad-lettuce-wraps.html
  • Pinalop25
    Brilliant thanks for the recipe's and notnikkisixx I have only really ever enjoyed junk food. I don't eat veg but wish u could so if u can come up with any ways of enjoying veg please share lol. And different ways to do chicken
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    As far as veggies try cauliflower and squash. They are very mild in flavor and will take on other flavors very easily. There are tons of recipes out there for cauliflower and spaghetti squash right now. Cauliflower with cheese is delicious! My Mom would always put the whole head in a pot of water and boil until tender then drain. Then she would put a couple of slices of cheese on top and cover until the hot cauliflower melted the cheese.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    I used to not enjoy veggies. I started forcing myself to eat them... now I love them.
  • notnikkisixx
    My boyfriend used to be the same way...pretty much couldn't even look at a vegetable! But with lots of cooking we've found ways that he likes them. I'd start with looking at some of the Skinny Taste recipes, they're often loaded with veggies but taste great....and they're pretty low-cal.

As a previous commenter mentioned, cauliflower is great to sneak into recipes. I'll throw it into pasta dishes or make cauliflower "rice" out of it.
  • Pinalop25
    Thanks I'll definitely try. Trouble is I'm not much of a cook either. Can't even make scrambled egg without asking my sister. Any websites where I can get easy to use recipes??
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Pinalop25 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll definitely try. Trouble is I'm not much of a cook either. Can't even make scrambled egg without asking my sister. Any websites where I can get easy to use recipes??

in that case my best advice would be learn to cook!
  • notnikkisixx
    Pinalop25 wrote: »

Pinterest is my favorite place for recipes. The only way to learn how to cook, is by doing it. Start with easier recipes and you'll be surprised at how quickly you pick it up!
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Try roasting vegetables on a cookie sheet with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper gives a toasty flavor to some veggies that you may like...bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes...zuchinni, peppers, onions, asparagus, brussel sprouts, eggplant...give it a try...you don't have to be a chef to use the stove!
  • Pinalop25
    Ok thanks all
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited February 2015
    I love emilybites.com....skinnytaste.com .....chef-in-training.com and canyoustayfordinner.com ..I too am a picky eater but I find if I chopped veg real small in spaghetti or whatnot then it helps...also putting kale or spinach in a fruit smoothie helps and you can't taste the veggies :) its yummy and you can't taste the veggies win win
  • Pinalop25
    Oh cool. Haven't done smoothies yet but I like the idea of cutting veggies up really small lol
    Thanks
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    you're more than welcome :)