Can I continue to lose weight during pregnancy?

While on my weight loss journey, after losing 13# (I still have 50# to go), I recently found out I am pregnant. I am currently 5 weeks and I stopped taking my supplements, fat burners, etc... but I am not sure about calorie restriction.

Anyone go through this? I am currently at 240# and it horrifies me to think I will end up 300# by the end of this pregnancy. Can I safely calorie restrict and exercise, so that by the time I deliver I can be at the same weight I am currently (if not, lighter)?

I talked to my primary doctor and he said I could "google it", but there is so much conflicting information out there. I have my first appt with my OB on 03.04.

Replies

• ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    edited February 2015
    A pregnant woman technically only needs an extra 200 calories a day during pregnancy. I wouldn't restrict calories but I'd focus on getting a balanced diet. No junk. Just eat healthy and do moderate exercise (no new ones, only what you're accustomed to). You will probably gain weight but you can maybe lessen the amount by being mindful of what you eat. I would not actively restrict calories while pregnant. Every one reacts differently to pregnancy. Just focus on health and that sweet baby!
  • Ashantih87
    Ashantih87 Posts: 6 Member
    No. Just no. You're pregnant. You need to gain weight for the health of your unborn baby. Trying to lose weight while pregnant can be detrimental for you babies health. You're supposed to gain anywhere from half a pound to a whole pound a week. Focus on eating healthy, taking your prenatal and getting some exercise. Enjoy this time. Once you're baby is born, you can think about losing weight.
  • ajwall3
    Annnnnd that's concerning that your doctor suggested Google as a valid source of medical advice.... :neutral_face:
  • ajwall3
    Oh and congratulations! ;)
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    ajwall3 wrote: »
    Annnnnd that's concerning that your doctor suggested Google as a valid source of medical advice.... :neutral_face:

My thought as well. Very concerning.

I haven't been pregnant so other than that I have nothing of value to contribute except for do whatever will keep you and your baby healthy :)

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited February 2015
    exercise, yes...plenty of woman continue to workout during pregnancy (ask your OB what types you can do)

Calorie restrict: talk to your OB, but I would say no, weight gain is inevitable
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    No, you're going to gain weight, so put a pin in the idea of trying to lose while you're pregnant. You don't need to gain back old weight in addition to what will be baby weight, though. Talk to your OBGYN. Get the numbers from her. Ask her what would be a good number of calories to eat and make sure you're getting it.

Also. Your doctor actually said google it? Ugh. Get a new doctor.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Focus on your baby. Feed yourself with nutritionally dense foods. Exercise and stay active. You'll gain, it's normal. You have to change how you think.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    focus on the health of you and your baby.

pregnantbreakdancing.gif
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    ajwall3 wrote: »

Agree...yikes

It's likely you won't gain too much because of your current weight. I would not try to actively lose, but there's no reason not to get some exercise or make good food choices during your pregnancy.
  • narwhalpr
    narwhalpr Posts: 65 Member
    If you are wanting to maintain - then eat at maintenance. I wouldn't restrict calories. How many lbs you need to gain while pregnant? I think it varies depending on your BMI... I would double check this with your OB and then adjust your calorie intake to whatever the OB tells you. And log in your calories through your pregnancy so if you need to maintain or increase a certain amount of lbs, you don't lose control over your weight.

Btw, I find it so odd that a doctor would recommend his/her patient to "google" things. Google is a good point of reference, but not a place to get the facts IMHO.

Congratulations!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    jcat410 wrote: »
    While on my weight loss journey, after losing 13# (I still have 50# to go), I recently found out I am pregnant. I am currently 5 weeks and I stopped taking my supplements, fat burners, etc... but I am not sure about calorie restriction.

Anyone go through this? I am currently at 240# and it horrifies me to think I will end up 300# by the end of this pregnancy. Can I safely calorie restrict and exercise, so that by the time I deliver I can be at the same weight I am currently (if not, lighter)?

I talked to my primary doctor and he said I could "google it", but there is so much conflicting information out there. I have my first appt with my OB on 03.04.

You don't need to gain 60lb just because you're pregnant. 25-30 is the expected normal amount.

I would work on maintaining your weight for the first few weeks, you don't need to eat in a surplus for the first trimester.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Definitely a question for your OB, but I have heard that people who are extremely overweight can gain very little weight and have a healthy pregnancy/baby. Like less than 15lbs.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    jcat410 wrote: »

Try to eat 200 calories over your usual maintenance calories. It is still possible that you will lose a small amount of weight (particularly if you have morning sickness) But your top priority should be nourishing yourself and your baby.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    I wouldn't restrict calories while pregnant just eat as healthfully as possible. There should be no reason to gain so much as 60 lbs in any pregnancy if you eat properly. You only need about 100 extra calories during the first trimester, 350 extra throughout the second trimester and approximately 450 extra during the third. Continuing to exercise should be fine but joints can become more pliable during pregnancy and you could be prone to injury, so I would say to do more low impact activities such as walking, swimming, bike riding. Of course it also depends on your fitness level as well.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    You don't need to put on 60 lbs for a pregnancy. You have more options than lose, or gain to 300. Why not watch your calories and aim to gain 15-20 lbs during the pregnancy?

Personally, I would start off at maintenance and keep careful watch on calorie intake and weight. Then the second I dropped at all, I would up my calories by 200 a day. I would then continue to watch calories and weight, and if weight gain started to exceed .6 lbs per week, I would drop calories a tiny bit.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    I've never carried a baby to full term but many on here suggest maintenance if nothing else. You should be gaining weight, but it doesn't have to be more than 25lb +/-.

You really need a new doctor. :/ Good luck and congratulations!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Listen to an OB not your GP.
    Sounds like a moron.

You don't need the fat burners anyway. That's a waste of your money. And some of those pills are very dangerous. Many have been banned in the US/UK.

Do not try to lose weight. Just focus on a balanced diet - that does include "junk" as another poster called it. There is nothing wrong with "junk" food in moderation, pregnant or not.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    A woman with a healthy "normal BMI" should have about 200 extra calories a day when pregnant. A woman who is overweight or obese does not/should not add 200 calories a day because their body does not need it. Eat a healthy well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, protein and healthy grains. Take your prenatal every day. Go for walks and do exercises that you are used to...I found great prenatal yoga dvds on amazon!

Congratulations!!!
  • Azathera
    Azathera Posts: 48 Member
    Congrats. As a new mom who had a baby 8 months ago I would say what you're trying to achieve is impossible. There are a lot of changes that will happen: increase in blood volume, amniotic fluid, the growing baby... All of these happen too fast for you to keep up with an equal weight loss, not to mention not healthy at all for you and the baby.

I have been "active" during my pregnancy. I exercised to keep my mobility, to get my body strong enough to carry the extra weight (mostly my back) to get my arms strong enough to carry a baby for looooooong periods of time as well as to prepare for delivery. But all was moderate to low exercising mostly prepared for pregnant women.

I replaced running with brisk walking. I know doctors say you can run but it didn't feel good to me bouncing the baby like that in my tummy. I danced a lot, I did pushups with my knee down, definitely no weight lifting of ANY type.

As for diet, you need to eat healthy and don't overeat.