Need new bathroom scale...suggestions?

Options
I know this topic has been done to death, but the hits I found when searching the message boards, weren't great leads. My bathroom scale is all over the place (this morning it weighed me in at 265 and then at 281, after putting in fresh batteries).

I need the scale to have these 5 qualities:
1) Digital w/ big display
2) ACCURATE
3) Track weight of multiple people (4 preferably, but 2 would suffice)
4) Auto on/off (no switch)
5) No more than $40 US

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ThermalYew1
    ThermalYew1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is just me and I actually posted a topic about this I think yesterday. But I would recommend getting a body fat monitor instead! I've noticed my body fat has went down some in the last week a little and I'm not driving myself crazy worrying about the number on the scale!
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy!!!! I saw a couple of digital scales at Walmart.com that were within ur price range and offered ur features.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Agree. I'm not sure which one I have, but it does all of the above (+ fat %) and it was ~$50.
    This is just me and I actually posted a topic about this I think yesterday. But I would recommend getting a body fat monitor instead! I've noticed my body fat has went down some in the last week a little and I'm not driving myself crazy worrying about the number on the scale!
  • ThermalYew1
    ThermalYew1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got mine from Walmart.com for $25. Mine is Omoron: Body Fat Monitor I love it! I'm the only one using it but you can personalize it for I think up to 5 people.
    Agree. I'm not sure which one I have, but it does all of the above (+ fat %) and it was ~$50.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    I have the Weight Watchers by Conair from Kmart it was $35. Weight only mode or Body Analysis Monitor tracks weight, body fat %, body water %, bone mass %, and BMI...stores up to 10 users:height, age, sex. Has been very accurate for me.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_005W430308080001P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
  • bragz
    bragz Posts: 22
    Options
    Is the body fat monitor is just a calculation rather than a true reading? Are there scales that can actually tell? I'm assuming a 200lb 5'11" non muscular person would register the same as a 200lb 5"11" muscular person?
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    Is the body fat monitor is just a calculation rather than a true reading? Are there scales that can actually tell? I'm assuming a 200lb 5'11" non muscular person would register the same as a 200lb 5"11" muscular person?

the Weight Watchers one uses an electrical current to detect the %s...and no you dont feel it
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Both people would register as 200 lbs, but the Body Fat %age wouldn't be anywhere close to the same.

If someone is 5' 11, 200lbs but 40% body fat....they would have 80 lbs of fat in their body.
    If someone is 5' 11, 200lbs but 20% body fat....they would have 40 lbs of fat in their body.

Now, imagine that 1lb of fat is roughly the size of a softball.....which is larger...a bag of 80 softballs, or a bag of 40 softballs? Obviously, one is twice the size of the other.

The remaining mass is much denser and more compact so in comparing fat to muscle, it's like comparing softballs to tennis balls. A pound is a pound on the scale...but density and volume vary between the two types of body tissue.
  • brown02134
    brown02134 Posts: 5
    Options
    Second (or third) the Conair weight watchers one recommendation given your wants.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options

the Weight Watchers one uses an electrical current to detect the %s...and no you dont feel it
    That was my question as well -- very interesting! Thank you for the information! I had no idea scales today use electrical currents to read your fat :ohwell:
  • bragz
    bragz Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks. I was just under the assumption that it just used the chart you see on the wall at gyms that says if your # tall and # weight your body fat is this. Did not know about the current deal. Have to get one. I just had mine measured recently at a checkup and will have to see how close it is.
  • adohrfarms
    adohrfarms Posts: 2
    Options
    I love this product. The reviews are correct!
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305042538&sr=8-1

This doesn't meet your requirement of tracking multiple people, but that's what MyFitnessPal is for, right? :)
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    Youre welcome :happy:
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options

That was my question as well -- very interesting! Thank you for the information! I had no idea scales today use electrical currents to read your fat :ohwell:

Body fat is non-conductive tissue (Think Rubber) where as lean mass conductive. In that respect, the higher your fat content, the more difficult it is for a circuit loop to complete from one end to the other. The BF scales then translate this into a BF % estimate.

Most BF scales estimate within +- 3%
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I like the Taylor brand, they are very accurate, and I've had mine for nearly 10 years and it still works great as the day I bought it. And it does all the fancy BMI stuff too :)