is it possible not to lose weight?

Options
So I think Its impossible for me to lose weight,

- I eat healthy and eat less than 1200 cals a day
-I work out on avg 4-7 times a week both swimming, running and the elliptical
-i am on no medications, but I think i have a med problem where I cant lose weight..is that possible??

help

Replies

• natashak
    Options
    So I think Its impossible for me to lose weight,

- I eat healthy and eat less than 1200 cals a day
    -I work out on avg 4-7 times a week both swimming, running and the elliptical
    -i am on no medications, but I think i have a med problem where I cant lose weight..is that possible??

help
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories. Under 1200 will put you into starvation mode. Go to the goals on here and set it for 1 pound a week. See how many calories it tells you and eat all of them. (or close to them).
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks Laura. I wanted to post that but I don't know how.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I normally just bump a post when I see someone needs or asks for the topic...but that's probably because it's the only way I know how up to this point...:blushing: :drinker:

How does one post the original link in a post?? I would love to know that so I can do as Laura did when needed./asked for.:happy:

Laura? anyone?:bigsmile:
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    I 100% agree with u!
    I dont understand my body! unless I STARVE it i do not lose ANYTHING!
    :angry:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I just did a search for 700 calories, found the thread I wanted, went to that thread, then copied the link from my address bar into this thread...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I just did a search for 700 calories, found the thread I wanted, went to that thread, then copied the link from my address bar into this thread...
    OH! Wow, I had no clue it was that easy...thanks so much Laura...I love learning new tricks to help:bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    I normally just bump a post when I see someone needs or asks for the topic...but that's probably because it's the only way I know how up to this point...:blushing: :drinker:

How does one post the original link in a post?? I would love to know that so I can do as Laura did when needed./asked for.:happy:

copy/paste the web link from your browser.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I 100% agree with u!
    ahh well you will lose weight if you starve yourself...but it will not be fat that you're losing:noway: it will eventually be muscle...and we all want to strive to build muscle as the more muscle our bodies contain...the more fat burning is going on within our bodies....:bigsmile:

It's worth a try you can always go back to the old way if you feel after a fair bit of time it's not working..but do give it time.... :drinker:

Take good care of yourself Hon!:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

copy/paste the web link from your browser.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again?
    thanks my Friend:heart:
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.

Not only do you need to eat AT LEAST 1200 calories (Don't eat less than that like you said you are)
    You need to eat your exercise calories as well!

That's probably your main problem, when i first started, I was barely eating my calories, and sometimes I was under, and I wasn't really losing during the first week... I started eating all of my calories and so far I have been losing my 2 lbs a week.
  • natashak
    Options
    thanks guys, you are amazing. So although I'm working out I should be eating those calories on top of the calories I already eat??
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, you are amazing. So although I'm working out I should be eating those calories on top of the calories I already eat??

Yes you are supposed to eat your calories earned from exercise! MFP automatically calculates your calorie deficit, so if you don't eat your exercise calories, you will be adding to the deficit and as a result your body could go into starvation mode.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    There are medical conditions that prevent some people from losing weight. But before you spend $$$ getting tested, try to follow what these ladies are suggesting.

Another tip: My sister had a tough time losing weight after her first child, so she started exercising and paying attention to what she was consuming... nothing happened. She really started seeing results when she started eating six mini-meals a day instead of three. So that's something else you could try. It'll help get your starving metabolism boosted.
    :wink:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with u!

PAAAATIENCE! Patience is the key word. You are slim, it's not easy to lose the last 5lbs. So don't starve yourself, dear, but rather starve your mind of the bad thoughts about your look that might assault it :wink: . You'll get there with perseverance - you have the will to starve yourself, so you must have the will to keep doing the right thing (eat proper, exercise, drink enough watter) until you get rid of those last few pounds annoying you. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • natashak
    Options
    i need to lose 40 pounds, not five, i want to go back to my highschool weight, its been 5 years, and 40 pounds later...aghhh..

well college really changed my body. help me guyss!!!!!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    i need to lose 40 pounds, not five, i want to go back to my highschool weight, its been 5 years, and 40 pounds later...aghhh..

well college really changed my body. help me guyss!!!!!!!

Not just college has changed your body.
    Your body has changed entirely on its own in ways that are unpreventable. In high school, you weren't fully developed. Now you are approaching full development. At 27, you stop growing and start breaking down--losing bone density and muscle mass.
    It's not a good idea to strive for a 'high school weight'. Would you try to reach a middle school weight? Of course not, it's impossible. You were still developing.

You're also starving yourself eating less than 1200 calories a day. Your metabolism will slow until it can maintain all normal functions at incredibly low calories. Eat at least 1200 calories, exercise 3+ days per week, and aim for body composition or a weight appropriate for your age and body type.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I know what everyone is saying sounds opposite of what you think of dieting. When I used to go into diet mode it was always 1200 or less and even then I struggled to lose weight. I have been following the guidelines here since Halloween (survived a 10 lb bag of candy, Thanksgiving and 2 weekend getaways)...and I have lost 11 pounds. I have not gone "granola". I still eat fast food, restaurants and my regular foods. But, for some reason adding those extra calories has helped me lose about 2 lbs a week.

I am also unable to exercise, so all this is through eating MORE than I was used to... crazy, huh?!

I hope it works as well for you. I know it is a leap of faith to try it, but you will find lots of support here.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I know it can sound strange--eat more to lose weight, but it's true. It took me a couple of what I considered "naughty girl" nights, where I was eating around 1500 calories, to realize that these ladies weren't crazy and that, holy crap, I was losing weight again.

And it's not hard to add calories. Have a cup of milk at breakfast. Put some avocado on your salad. Nibble on some almonds. I know that it can feel craaazy trying to up your calorie intake. I still struggle with it. I'll be like "Ugggh, so much food!" before I realize I'm well within my calories. But trust me, it works.

What's great about a healthy, veggie filled diet is that you can eat a ton and not add a billion calories. Seriously. You can eat like a king and barely add anything to your calorie intake...which means you get to eat even more! Volumnetrics has a point, at least to me.